Question for experienced feeders

Help Support Steer Planet:

thadlo

We have a little May born calf that weighs about 450 lbs or so ( no scale, just using weight tape).  Our first show with him is in about 2 mos. and the final show for him will be next Aug. 
He is currently being fed AAOK's recipe at the rate of 5.5 lbs twice/day and we're slowing increasing that amount.  He is also getting mineral added in.  We give him a couple flakes grass hay twice/day as well. 
I wondered how we should feed to get him ready in 2 mos?  He's pretty small to be competitive this early but would like to maximize growth without sacrificing him long term.  Is Healthy Glo something to add right now?  Do we stop after the Dec. show and give him a break for a while - or continue all through?  Do we just keep feeding as we are with no supplements?  Is there something better? 
I don't want to burn his gut.  I don't want to turn him off feed and I don't want to push too hard only to have negative consequences later. 
So, how would you all feed him?

Mill Iron A

It depends on which show is more important to you. My personal opinion would be to keep going as you are, don't push him for this show in 2 mos just feed him for your show in August. The show in 2 mos. would obviously be a jackpot show and although I know this doesn't happen as often as it should but judges should be secure enough to use him if he is made right without having him fat at such a small weight. The point in those shows is being able to predict that this calf looks like he is growing well and should look the best at his endpoint. Keeping that in mind most people will have a really short cannon early maturing calf that won't get bigger that 990 and get them fat and they usually do pretty well and most people have that as their "jackpot" steer and then their county fair steer. Hope this helps