question judges theory

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

I recently attended a show judged by a nationaly known and respected judge. In the January bull calf class there were 6 or 7 entries with one obvious class winner, however of the remaining entries he picked a calf that had a total lack of performance for second place. There was nearly 400lbs between the first and second place calf and over 200lbs between the second place calf and any others in that class. Those of you that know me know I'm a structure freak and there were other calves in that class that were as structuraly correct or more so than the second place calf. I don't believe that politics played a role in this class. I was in so much shock that I checked weights on all of the other bull calves entered at the show and the only one he out weighed was a June calf that was on the side of his mother. I know everyone makes mistakes but this one floored me.

sjcattleco

I have seen shows go the same way... I have always thought it funny that they pick the huge calf... If they knew what they were actually looking at they just picked a frame 8 bull OR they just picked a bull that the owner lied about thier age either way they are picking extremes that should be discounted not rewarded...

justme

we had a judge say he couldn't use our heifer at the county fair because there was nothing similar to her to follow her.  hmmmmm just after he stated she was the most structurally correct Maine anjou he's ever seen....  Brain fart for a 20 year old judge I guess

knabe

justme, sell some so there will be some.  go to the next show too.  it's kinda like at the state fair in CA, the best heifer was so clearly the best one, with a middle pack, and a lower end.

Latest posts