Question on Simmi pedigree

Help Support Steer Planet:

glitter6m

Ok, I went and looked at a heifer that my cousin has for sale. It would be eligible for my 4-H'er to show next year at our county and state fair as a sr yearling. We don't show other than at county, and I am into Limousin's, which is why I need some help. Here is the pedigree of the 11/20/08 heifer, please tell me your thoughts - good, bad and ugly. She is a very nice heifer. Very sound and correct. Sorry I don't have pictures of her. I'm pretty sure that the dam's side will be unknown to most of you since it is local.

NORTHLAND COMMONWEALTH
    NORTHLAND MR 328N
  NORTHLAND MISS 862H
KATIE
  GT BLACK ALERT
    ROSIE
      BLACK STAR

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jennifer

GONEWEST

No "famous" animals there, average or a little below on EPD's.  But if she is a nice heifer for your child to show and you're showing only at that level, the pedigree is the last thing I would worry about.

LN

I agree the pedigree is unknown. I did see some Nichols Blk Destiny and 600U further back in the pedigree, and those are both excellent bulls from back in the day. But if she's good enough for the county level, go for it.

glitter6m

Thanks for the help. I didn't figure the pedigree was more than "local" animals, but I also don't know the breed. I am probably going to end up purchasing her. She will be shown at the NAILE and a show in December I think before I can actually have possesion of her, so I'm interested in seeing how she does at those shows. If I do get her, I will post a picture to see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!
Jennifer

aj

I had a 600u son knock me down 15 years ago and he was flat nasty dispositioned but I'm sure it won't be a problem on this calf.

glitter6m

She seemed to have a great disposition, and they showed her this yr as a jr heifer, so she has been out and hopefully by the time we get her she will be more mature and easier to handle. I know those jr's can sometimes be a handful.

GLZ

The top side of the pedigree comes from Northland Farms out of Sterling, Illinois.  Jay has an excellent breeding program up there.  He has a big sale every 3 years or so, titled Herdbuilder.  He sold the 808H cow to Hudson Pine Farms for $20,000+ in one of the Herbuilder sales from years ago, and he has a couple of very solid Dream On sons that he owns in Pacemaker and Blaze On.

I don't know of that particular bull, but the program it comes from is extremely solid.

kanshow

We've had some 600U daughters in the herd and I can honestly say that disposition was not a problem with them.  However, all of our twinning cows trace back to 600U.