Question????/

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

Does anyone know what would cause a cow to stop lifting her tail when she poops? It is causing manure to cling to either side of her tail, so I keep having to wash her off. My only guess is maybe she came in heat and one of the other cows jumped her and bruised her tail head????? Any thoughts, as well as any thing to help the situation are appreciated!

jbh

Two questions......Was she ever shown? and Does she seem to be loosing weight rapidly?  Questions are non-related.

Jill

Have you had her tail deadened for a reason (showing, flushing) sometime they don't come back kind of like the shots at the dentist, there is no guarantee that you will get feeling back if the wrong nerve gets hit. 

cowcrazy

Thank you for your responses!  I am relatively new to Steer Planet, and appreciate the info.  She was shown as a heifer, but that was 4 or 5 years ago.  She is not loosing weight, and her disposition is the same.  She has never been flushed or had her tail deadened. 

Teacher

You may need to take her to the vet and have her checked out.  I had a cow that was kinda doing the same thing the vet said she had a pinched nerve in her back.

cowcrazy

Thank you for your response.
So what was the treatment for the pinched nerve? An anti-inflammatory? Did the treatment work?
Thanks!

Teacher

The vet gave her Dex and had a chiropractor come in pop her back and pulled on her tail.  couple of days later she was fine.  Still have to watch her