Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

gilbert07

My 7 year old purebred charolais cow has had problems with her calves having twisted front legs.  Her first calf she had when we got her was born upside down and backwards and her legs were twisted.  We figured the way it came out that was the reason for the legs being that way.  Then this year she had a bull calf normal and his legs are worse than her first calf.  We are sure its probably genetics, but the reason we bought her is because a heifer we saw out of her.  The heifer was perfectly fine but ever since we got her shes had to twisted calves.  Shes a really great cow but since this is all thats going to happen it looks like shes going to be gone.  So if anyone could telll me please help me out.  Thanks

Bulldaddy

Were the front feet twisted under the legs to where to calf walked on its knees?  If so, they will recover from this condtion and eventually walk normally.  Years ago, I had this problem with muitlple calves and finally figured our that it was the bull causing the problem.  Got rid of the bull and never had it happen again.  So, you may be correct in thinking that it may be a genetic condition. 

gilbert07

Her first calf was out of INXS which is a Wyoming Wind son and her recent calf is out of Denver which is out of Three Trees Wind which is a Wyoming Wind son..The heifer that we saw that made us buy her was out of Three Trees wind.  That's why I am not understand why all of a sudden shes having twisted calves