question! :-)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mooshoo4

I am showing my steer in about a month and this is my first time having a steer and I have never showed one before so... Im kinda wondering about what some common questions are that judges ask?

ROAD WARRIOR

In a normal class the judge won't ask many questions - showmanship is a different deal. Not sure which you are asking about. RW

snagboy

oo wow i have been asked questions from what was the sire of your steer to the feeder cattle grade all the way down to the what would you change about the cow in front or behind you  the questions that will be asked are endless it all depends on the judge  all as i can say is watch some of the other classes before yours and talk to some people you may know  see if they know what he is asking. good liuk

flcc

they will usually ask questions about weight and what you would do to improve your calf at our fair

pjkjr4

Like all the others said, they can ask any number of questions. Just remember what your weight that got wrote down is. Above all, relax and smile....you're supposed to be having fun!!! Good luck.

Mooshoo4

Thanks guys!  I wish I could watch some classes before mine but my fair is small enough that there is only me one or 2 other girls and were all gonna be in the same showmanship class...so I was just wondering cause I always get a bunch of questions with showing lambs and pigs... so thanks!!

flacowman

It's always good to know weight, age, average daily gain (if you had a prior weigh-in), breed mix if he's a cross, strengths and weaknesses of your steer, what you like and what you'd change, your feed information (protein, fat etc. and how much he gets daily), pedigree as much as possible...you (hopefully) won't get all of these but I have seen lesser showmen win classes because they were knowlegeable (sp?) and it just makes good showmen shine that much more.  Also, if the question allows for it, try to get some little fact (about the steer or whatever the subject is) that will wow the judge.  My senior year I won our county showmanship on my questions because we had several excellent and equal showmen.

Best of luck to you!  <band>

harleyhog

Always remember also it is one man's, the judge, opinion on the given day.....

Good luck and have fun!!!

RSC

Mooshoo4 said:
I am showing my steer in about a month and this is my first time having a steer and I have never showed one before so... Im kinda wondering about what some common questions are that judges ask?
You may want to know where the meat cuts are located on your steer, feed conversion and current market price for fat cattle.

Tony

firesweepranch

Today, at the National Simmental Classic, my daughter made to the final round and the judge asked one question of all the kids in the round: "if I had a commercial herd of cows, what would be the benefits of using a simmental bull on my cows". Wow, great question! We won't know until banquet how she placed..... he kept 24 and they go to top 20 (there were 10 junior rounds with more than 11 kids in each round).
Good luck!

Mooshoo4

thanks! ok heres another question... What are all the things that I absolutely HAVE to have for fair? I have  a blower and a chute and  a tooth comb... im getting a leather show halter soon.... but what are some other things that I cant go without to get him ready to show and showing him?

farmboy

I'd say you have what you need as far as equipment goes. I'm betting you don't have a lot of hair right? Shouldn't need many products then

vc

What is the ideal amount of back fat, (4/10-6/10) and estimate what you think your steers back fat is.
The question about what you would change about your steer or what you like about your steer is easy as long as you show market prior to showmanship, just listen to him when he critiques your animal in market and use his reasons in showmanship.
For the final 3 this year he asked the exhibitors what they liked or would change about the animal the exhibitor in front of them had. He held the lead and let them examine the animal and come back and give him their answers. The kid in the front had to go to the steer at the end.
Be confident and relaxed and do your best, if you spend to much time thinking about questions you might get asked you might just loose focus and the real task at hand, showing your animal.
Besides if you go out and just out show them all, he wont need to ask questions.