question

Help Support Steer Planet:

tb

I was wanting to ask two questions if I can the first is can I use WD40 on a calf legs to break the adhesive after a show or not and if not what can i use I have always used hocus pocus and wanting to cut costs if I can.My second question is on bedding which one should i use it suppose to be getting bad cold here my choices are straw or wood chips/shaving thank you let me know

bruiser

I don't know about the WD-40 I would think it would not be worth it. You went to all that work on the hair I wouldn't risk it. There are lots of products out there other than HP. The bedding question is easy; anything to keep them clean and dry. Corn stalks straw, wood chips, old hay , anything that isn't dusty or moldy works well. It just depends on what part of the country you are in. Personally we use wood chips covered with wheat straw, the chips help keep urine absorbed alittle better. Thats for the show calves only the fats get the stalks or old hay.

SSIMMENTALS

I would look into the ezall adhesive remover. The big bottle of it runs around $60 (i think) but it doesnt take as  much product as hocus pocus to get one done  and it will cut right through some pretty serious fitting. Some fellows at our county fair swear by WD40. I haven't convinced myself to put a harsh cleaning product on my hard come by hair, but most of them only show at the county show anyway and the calf goes to kill the next day. As for cold weather bedding, we are at 70 degrees today, so I'm not going to be too terribly helpful there. (lol)

PaFFA Proud

I would use wood chips...skip the straw in my opinion...it dosent absorb at all, it gets eaten, also you throw out more when cleaning piles. I used straw thinking it will keep them warmer but if it dosent absorb moisture their not going to stay warm...in return just get messy and cold :-\

common sense

tb,  I would stay FAR away from WD40 to remove adhesive. There are a lot of other ways to cut corners on supplies but breaking down adhesive is NOT one of them in my book. My rule of thumb is if I am afraid to use it on MY hair then I certainly am not using it on my show cattle. WD40 is extremely harsh and caustic to the skin. Whenever I use adhesive remover on the legs I spend some time after rinsing/washing to actually rub in a quality hair conditioner and let it sit in the leg hair for a few minutes.  Also, I am not afraid to rinse the legs afterward with vinegar to help cool down any areas on the skin that may be "hot" from the adhesive remover. I highly recommend EZ all remover. It seems to be one of the gentlest products on the market. Ounce for ounce it is probably the most reasonable if used accordingly.

As far as bedding for warmth I would recommend straw or corn stalks. This type of bedding will hold in body heat and creates almost a blanket around the animal. 

Good luck!

Till-Hill

Only thing we had in my younger days was wd-40 and it worked fine. HP works alot better....

Use woodchips or sawdust at show but straw at home. Straw holds heat and absorbs way better. Sorry PaFFA Proud if you ever walk in a dairy calf barn it is always straw. It absorbs and holds heat. Got to keep them baby calves warm and dry. Chips may let moisture thru but does not absorb.

Blue25

I havent ever noticed the calf acting different or anything of the sort when I use Hocus Pocus, but people are always telling me not to use it because it burns their skin.  Is that true?

PaFFA Proud

Till-Hill said:
Only thing we had in my younger days was wd-40 and it worked fine. HP works alot better....

Use woodchips or sawdust at show but straw at home. Straw holds heat and absorbs way better. Sorry PaFFA Proud if you ever walk in a dairy calf barn it is always straw. It absorbs and holds heat. Got to keep them baby calves warm and dry. Chips may let moisture thru but does not absorb.

It must be either the straw I have gotten or the rubber mats on the floor but didnt absorb anything at all.....the ideal thing is shavings on the ground and strawed throwed on top as earlier posted....not to mention straw is slippery.

AAOK

A look at the WD-40 MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) shows that the product contains petroleum distillates. Skin contact may cause drying of skin and/or irritation. According to the WD-40 MSDS, it is advised to wash with soap and water if you have contact with your skin.

rocknmranch

What I have been told by the suppliers is that hay is water resistent. If water, urine, ect is an issue and keeping animals dry is the necessity, use hay. The water goes to the bottom of the bed, and gets absorbed by the under bedding, shavings, wood chips, ect.