question

Help Support Steer Planet:

showstud

does anyone know anything about screw worms and how you can treat them

red

Showstud, I moved you post to the Big Show for more responses.

(welcome)

Red

red

screw worms flies will lay their eggs in open flesh or wounds on an animal. They are carnivorous so will eat the flesh. They said a larvacide is the cure. I remember a spray for sheep that was used but not sure if it's labeled for cattle.

Red

daydreamingacres

Get them every year on at least one sheep no matter what I do...The vet told us that the best thing to use is motor oil. pour directly over the "worms" keep like pulling them off with a metal curry comb (gently as the skin will be raw)  and keep pouring it over. I guess that creates and anerobic enviroment ( no oxygen) and they cant breathe so they have to come out. Make sure that you shave the area if possible and treat beyond the "lines" that they create. Screw worm spray is good too but kinda pricey. Hope this helps and for the record they gross me out!

red

I'm w/ you Daydreamer! when I showed sheep it seemed tey had those nasty things every year too. Yuck! Next to maggots those just about make sick to my stomach!

Red

kanshow

I remember those horrible things from way back in MY sheep showing days.    That is what is sooo nice about keeping those lambs slick sheared now.   

Show Heifer

Screw worms/maggots are very effectively killed with a product widely available called "Screw Worm Spray". You can find it at any farm store or vet supply catalog.

They enjoy an environment of moist dirty skin, so keeping sheep "clean and dry" is important. Most often found around tail area of long tailed lambs or around wounds. They will infect about any animal that has an open wound that is not kept clean or dry.

Note: if you are in a really quiet area and put your ear within 10-12 inches you can hear them work on the skin....

DL

showstud said:
does anyone know anything about screw worms and how you can treat them

I think you are confusing screwworms (Chrysomya bezziana) with generic fly or blow fly maggots infesting a wound. Screwworms were eradicated in the US in the 80s by the release of sterile male screwworms. Previously it was a huge problem in Texas and surrounding states. Screwworms do not survive cold temperatures - so are a problem in warm climates. Screwworm infestations should be reported to state or federal authorities immediately. A recent case of screwworm infestation was identified by a small animal vet in Florida in an imported dog.

FMI www.oie.int

daydreamingacres

Good to know... Either way they are gross! Do they look any different DL then the blow fly maggots? I had some on a lamb this year who got the poops before he got docked and there were two diffent sizes of worms. Some SUPER big ones and some really little ones. No matter how dry I try to keep the sheep they ALWAYS find the grossest spot to lay...no one ever accused them of being the brightest crayons in the box!