Questions for past EPIC users??????

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

How do you keep them from sorting that ________ Stuff?  I am half dosing it for now to get him started but still sorting!  Aggravating!  I am feeding the heifer Shag!  For the little extra money,  It will be all Shag next year unless the Epic calf becomes a Yak in the next 60 days!

The dose of Epic is over twice as much by volume compaired to the Shag, getting them to eat it without being pelleted is an issue, IMO!

kanshow

That was my biggest complaint.    If you have enough molasses already in the ration, sometimes if you wet it just a little it will stick.  I also used liquid molasses and corn oil with the molasses working better.  You could try corn syrup too. 

herefordfootball

Let me know or post on here how the epic calf compares to the shag calf when you start seeing results I just ordered some epic for the first time and would like to know how the two compare Thanks!!!

bcosu

is the epic alright to use on heifers trying to get bred? i was thinking about feeding it to our breeding heifer that we will show as a bred at the county fair and then at louisville and wasn't sure if it was harmful during a pregnancy or something.

PLKR

Hey Tony, hate to say "I told you so, but..."  just kidding, of course! We are feeding the last of our Epic to a couple of sr. yearling heifers that would probably eat bark off trees, so not much problem with consumption...but I'm also not seeing the results we had with Shag. IMO, all of those products are high enough priced that I want the cattle to WANT to eat it...not leave it at the bottom of the feeder...I think it is a "product problem" if you have to trick the cattle into eating it...

BCCC

cbcfarms said:
is the epic alright to use on heifers trying to get bred? i was thinking about feeding it to our breeding heifer that we will show as a bred at the county fair and then at louisville and wasn't sure if it was harmful during a pregnancy or something.
Yes it is fine for bred heifers. I normally feed it with wet beet pulp and it sticks to it pretty good, I think the syrup would work just dandy. I normally only have troubles getting them to eat it for the first couple of days, and then after that they don't try and sort it out.