questions judges have asked you

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowgurl101

I need some ideas on where to find infomation that i might need to know for my upcoming shows. I am learning all the cuts of beef, carcass measurements,ect, but need to know what else i will need to know. Any websites you would recommend? I would like to find a chart showing the nutritional needs of market animals and heifers of various ages, and want to know more about what the ideal market steer looks like - i know all the general stuff but need more details, like structural stuff ( correct set of legs ect) as well as correct rib shape, tailhead set, and the ideal hip, pins, and stifle. I dont get to many shows and dont know very many experienced showman, though im trying to improve in these areas. I love learning about this stuff, so any websites/ comments would be appreciated. Thankyou so much!!
Sarah

vc

A question I often hear them ask at our county fair is "what are the greatest challenges the beef industry faces today?" You can find alto this information on WLJ.net and Cattle today.com
Remember this question refers to the cattle industry not the show cattle industry.

red

make sure you know some of the simple facts. Birth date of calf, weight, bloodlines. Also some ask what you'd like to change or what you like about calf.
I've heard som asking how much you feed. Many kids not involved wouldn't have the slightest idea.

good luck!

Red

kanshow

What age group?  The questions usually increase in difficulty as the showman gets older.   

showgirl2010

One that got my sister last year was "What is BSE?".  It is mad cow disease.  So know your diseases and the scientific or proper name for them.  One year the judge had the seniors talk through the microphone to everyone about how they got started and why they liked the showing industry and things like that.  Well, one girls last year and she actually started to cry so obviously she won.  She was an excellent showwomen and shes there every year to help all the kids out still.

Jamie

farmboy

last years fair the judge asked me how much my steer weighed 6 times. it was in the final drive to. i got reserve county steer  ;) :D

justme

When I use to judge the question that got most was where is the cannon bone and name 3 places a calf will show fat.  Surprised how many sr. showman cann't answer these.

Jill

Those are all good, something else is what is the current market price to beef, you would be surprised how many people have no clue.

aj

Not a question but a story. I don't know if it was true or not. Don Woodburn was ccc's livestock coach. He also went to csu and the Curtis Nebraska school and I think he is in administration somewhere else now. Anyway,to me any way,he was a legendary figure. He wore real thick glasses at one time. His lievstock teams were legendary. Supposedly he was judging a county fair in the 70's. He bumped into support post in the showring while judging a show. Reportedly he looked up and said excuse me and then continued judging the class. If the story isn't true it should be. ;D

Cowgurl101

kanshow said:
What age group?   The questions usually increase in difficulty as the showman gets older.   
I am a senior in 4-H and have a hard time finding everything i need to know in my 4-H books - i really appreciate your replies! ;D

jimmyski

aj said:
Not a question but a story. I don't know if it was true or not. Don Woodburn was ccc's livestock coach. He also went to csu and the Curtis Nebraska school and I think he is in administration somewhere else now. Anyway,to me any way,he was a legendary figure. He wore real thick glasses at one time. His lievstock teams were legendary. Supposedly he was judging a county fair in the 70's. He bumped into support post in the showring while judging a show. Reportedly he looked up and said excuse me and then continued judging the class. If the story isn't true it should be. ;D

aj,
Don is now at Coffeyville Community College, where I he is the President of the school.

Now back to the topic, some questions that I will ask in Senior Showmanship include but are limited to: Gestation Length, Length of Estrus Cycle, avg. REA, change about an animal, problems with the beef industry. I attempt to make them somewhat animal specific. If you show a breeding heifer I will ask the ones such as Gestation Length and Estrus Cycle and if you show a steer I will ask about avg. REA, avg Market weight etc... It also depends on the quality of showman at a specific show on how difficult/easy the questions will be. Hope this helps.

SKF

Last year my son was showing a heifer and the judge asked him what was it about this heifer that made him purchuce her and what his goal was with her.

fluffer

If your showing a specific breed of cattle, know the background and histroy of the breed.  Also know the markets for that breed.  Like if you show a limousine you would need to know about Lauras Lean, or Angus and CAB.  Know the frame scores and what your animal is in those terms.  Know the advantages and disadvantages of your animal and the breed.  Know how many cattle there are in the US and how many are registerd in your breed (if you have a reg animal)  The better you show and your peers show the harder the questions will be.  When I judge if I have a few showmen that are doing a flawless job then the quesitons get tough.  If I have on the rises to the top pretty easy, I usually don't fool with hard quesitons.

One thing that got me when I was just starting was we all had to switch animals.  If you do that, make sure your turn the animal around and set him/her back up to your standards.  Learn how to "walk your animal into place" so you don't have to use a showstick.  Your calf will be more confortable that way and you will have it set up faster then the others.  When the judge is looking at your animal on profile, step backwards just a bit so the judge can see the animal from nose to tail without you in the back ground.  And if the judge is at the rear of the animal step to the side.  These are things that you may already know, but just incase  ;)

If I think so something else I will let you know.

Fluffer

Cherokee

My daughter used her snotty heifer for showmanship, and the judge asked what would you change about this heifer, She stated her attitude.  The judge LOVED her answer and she won the class.  He did explain why he liked the answer so much since attitude is an important trait when breeding.  She had a AWFUL attitude, now she still blows snot at you but you can walk up to her in pasture and scratch her and handle her calf without her taking you out.