Questions on DNA Testing

Help Support Steer Planet:

kidsandkows

So what exactly do they need to DNA test (Hair, Blood)? Then what can that tell you? Parentage? Can it tell you a percent of each breed? Then I assume once you have tested an association will take those results an let you register if your animal meets the qualifications? Just curious never sent one. I have done genetic defect testing, but that is it! So can any animal that has the percentage of that breeds blood be registered or does one or both of the parents have to be registered (probably depends on association)? Sorry a lot of questions!

leanbeef

There are several things you can learn from DNA tests through the commercial labs...parentage, genetic defect status, genetic traits like whether animal is homozygous black or homozygous polled, or if they carry recessive gene for red coat color or horns. It depends on the lab...you can access a list of potential tests on their websites, and most can use a sample from the tail switch, pulled out by the roots, and complete with the root balls on the hair samples.

I think there are labs that can estimate the breeds in an animal, but I'm not sure how accurate those measurements are believed to be. I don't know of any breed association that wod accept that information alone for registry in the breed. Registration is more than just knowing what breed an animal is...it's a record of that animal's pedigree as well. It depends on the breed...some allow only purebred animals from two registered parents. Apt of the continental breeds allow percentage cattle as long as at least one parent is registered.