Quirks

Help Support Steer Planet:

minimoo38

what are some quirks of your cattle? my 2 market heifers LOVE to lap the water in the buckets. it's like they have to search for it, and barely test the water with their tongue.  :p i just find it absolutely hilarious!! although i get really wet sometimes.... ::) ;D

Cowgurl101

My county steer had the coolest personality - he would always "play tag" with me when i went to catch him, and after about 1 min., he'd stop and stand completely still , like a statue. It was hilarious!! He was a blast to work with.
My other steer has this thing were whenever he sees a cat , he'll chase it across the pasture every time. Its funny since he's 1450 lbs and he's pretty clumsy .He also likes to go home from our makeshift cool room , so when i go out to get him he will come up to me and put his nose in the halter. Its pretty cute ;D

shortyjock89

My show heifer, and even the baby calves this year have a game.  It's called Bite Justin's Fingers Until he says "OW" and pulls his hand back.  They stand there and look at me like it's absurd that I would think it a bit uncomfortable to have my fingers chomped on.  My show heifer is cool about it, she just nibbles now. From time to time she'll nibble my sister's nose really soft with her lips.  She also loves to cuddle.  When I go to tie her up or untie her, she'll usually put her head under my arm and want a hug and want scratched on her neck and top, and really anywhere I'll scratch her.  She's pretty cool, and although I have been pretty  close with most of our heifes over the years, she's a real stand out.

Turkey Creek Ranch

One of our steers this year would not drink at county fair. He would just stick his nose into the tank clear up to his eyes and move his head back and forth and blow bubbles.  (clapping)

oakbar

Our Sonny heifer last year would catch the rain/dew with her tongue as it came off the roof of our barn.  She also likes Gatorade, pizza crust, and her favorite is chocolate mini donuts.  She would stand near our front door last year and moo for my daughter until she came out each day with a couple of donuts for her.  Yeah, she's spoiled but she's turned into a really good momma for us--she and her calf won the Cow/Calf class at our fair and her Tonic calf won his division as well.

Rocky Hill Simmental

One of my simmental heifers this year always wiggles her nose around like a rabbit when she gets nervous. I had a 3/4 sibling to her I showed a couple years ago who did the same thing. lol

I have 2 more show simmentals that dunk their head in the water bucket to cool off when it's hot outside.

I showed a heifer last year who must have been half fish. She would always stand with her front in her 40 gallon water tank. We had to feed her special minerals to make her stop. Even today, she's always in the water swimming around.  :D

farmboy

when i lead my steer around a smaller round bale, he just has got to jump on it and get "bottomed out" or stuck for a minute lol

BCCC

minimoo38 said:
what are some quirks of your cattle? my 2 market heifers LOVE to lap the water in the buckets. it's like they have to search for it, and barely test the water with their tongue.  :p i just find it absolutely hilarious!! although i get really wet sometimes.... ::) ;D

Turkey Creek Ranch said:
One of our steers this year would not drink at county fair. He would just stick his nose into the tank clear up to his eyes and move his head back and forth and blow bubbles.  (clapping)

Well my heifer has a combo of both of these shes laps the water and then dunks or head in the tank and then licks you to death until you walk to the other side of the tank and then she will drink. she also Has started head buttin everyone!, she loves spicy doritios!!!

Diamond

I have a steer who can count, he seems to be trying to set a world record for the most halters destroyed by a single animal, lol he's on his 14th. He's particularly fond of the pretty colored ones! oh and he loves when you put deterrents on them, he adores hot sauce, the spicier the better. he's such a brat about it I have to use a chain ( while he's tied)when I show him and I always get one of two responses, he's either a psycho, or a gangster.

Dusty

i had a heifer one time that when you tried to lead her would put her head down and take off running and then when you were on the halter should smash you between her and gates/fences etc to try and get you off the halter.  She also like to jump too when she was on the halter.  She always had that little "twinkle" in her eyes if you know what I mean. 

knabe

i have one heifer who bellers every time she sees me till i come over and she can kiss my hand.