Rabies In cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

We just were informed that a show we went to a couple of weeks ago a steer there was infected with rabies and died a few days after the show. This is the first time I have ever heard of a case of rabies in cattle. Has anyone else had cattle with rabies? Do you vaccinate you calves for rabies?

Jill

Did you not ever watch Old Yeller?  They had to shoot the old cow because she had em, sad story.

ROAD WARRIOR

Rabies in cattle is not all that uncommon. A friend of mine had to undergo treatment for rabies after reaching into a cows throat because he thought she was choking on something. I hope that no one was exposed to rabies via the show steer.

SKF

I forgot about Ol' Yeller. I knew they could get it I just never knew anyone that had a cow with it so I never gave it much thought. The show and the dept. of health has notified everyone at the show and anyone who had contact with the animal. I guess on the second day of the show the calf started to exhibit the symptoms and they took it home and then it died a few days later.

DL

Rabies is quite common in cattle and probably every year some unsuspecting vet (often at the U) ends up getting a rabies booster because they examined a neurological bovine (ie bovine with neurological issues) that ended up having rabies.

I vaccinate all my cattle for rabies - why - well (as you know) I am paranoid  :D but also I sell to areas where rabies in racoons is endemic - ie the east coast of the US, NY, PA and parts of eastern Ohio.

To be official it must be administered by a vet (just like dog rabies vaccine) but it needs to be repeated annually and there are only a couple of products approved for vaccinating cattle.

I can dig up the 2007 rabies compendium article that say what state had how many cases of rabies in what species.

It is generally seen in only one animal in the herd and in cattle they are said to usually present with what is called "dumb" rabies (as opposed to those that go crazy). ANy bovine with any neurological issues is a suspect - wear gloves. If you have specific questions let me know,

SKF

What are the symptoms to look for?  I know now I will be more careful handling sick cattle.

DL

Rabies is a worldwide issue - except a couple of islands Australia, NZ, Br Isles, Hawaii

All mammals are susceptible

Transmitted thru the bite of an infected animal
in the US fox, skunks, racoons and bats primarily (although there is a report of a rqabid squirrel (if I recall correctly) infecting a guinea pig on a lawn! There is a geographic distribution for the various animals that transmit rabies - ie in the "thumb" of MI there is skunk rabies, racoon rabies like I described etc bats pretty much everywhere

rabies in cattle
incubation varies from 2 weeks to months (that is the time from the bite to symptoms)

Bizarre mental behavior, yawning, hypersensitive, belligerant, difficulty swallowing, incoordination, drooling, decreased sensation in hind quarters, recumbancy, death - any abnormal behavior that could be neurological in origin - always rule out rabies

what state are you in? I'll bet that caused quite a stir! There are specific guidelines for human vaccination after exposure - hope that helps some,

SKF

We live in South Florida but the show was in Perry, Ga.and it was a big show. I am sure they got lots of phone calls today. We just got the letter today.

DL

In 2005 (latest numbers) published in 2006 there were 93 confirmed cases of rabies in cattle in the US; 76 in dogs, 47 in horses, and 9 in sheep and goats.

Georgia had 256 cases, 241 of which were in wild animals (primarily raccoons at 156>skunks>bats). Florida had 202 cases - 169 were wild animals (raccoons>bats>skunks)

Fla had 29 rabid cats and 2 rabid dogs and GA had 9 cats, 2 dogs and 4 horses. Neither state had rabid cattle.

Rabid cattle were found in
AR -2
CO - 1
Iowa - 7
IL - 1
MD - 1
NM - 10
NC - 3
ND - 2
Neb - 9
NJ - 1
NY - 9
OK - 8
PA - 2
SD -14
The hopefully attached map shows what species are endemic transmitters of rabies in which areas of the US I can send the whole article to anybody who wants it

Attachments

• Rabies map.jpg
    Rabies map.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 266

steermaker

Here in NY all cattle that are going to any show or fair must be vaccinated against rabies.  It is my understanding that for next year (2008) all catte that are to be shown or exhibited must have proof of a negative BVD test as well.  We are trying to get the word out in our area so that kid's don't buy a calf without testing it because if they buy a calf and it tests positive it can't be shown.

shortyjock89

steermaker said:
Here in NY all cattle that are going to any show or fair must be vaccinated against rabies.  It is my understanding that for next year (2008) all catte that are to be shown or exhibited must have proof of a negative BVD test as well.  We are trying to get the word out in our area so that kid's don't buy a calf without testing it because if they buy a calf and it tests positive it can't be shown.

That sounds like an excellent policy.  Hopefully more states will follow that example.  The  only way to control these diseases is by vaccination and by isolating the known carriers of these diseases.

DL

steermaker said:

WOW!! That is fabulous! No wonder I love NY - Go Sabres!!

justintime

Everything worthwhile has a connection to Hockey!!!Now, DL, if you could just start to cheer for the right team!!  Just kidding of course.

Rabies in cattle is far more prevelant than many think. Several years ago, I made a trip to Ontario to tour some herds. I got to the first farm just in time to go with the owner to treat a sick cow in his pasture. When I saw her, I was really concerned as she looked quite alert, but could not get up. The thing that really concerned me was that she kept yawning, which is a symptom of rabies, in many cases. I suggested to the owner that he should be careful as this could be rabies, but he continued to stick a tune down her throat and drench her with some medicine. As a result he ended up having to take the rabies treatment which was a very serious series of shots in those days and he almost died from this. Today there is a much better treatment but then it involved a series of shots into the stomach . It was 8 months before he began to return to normal.
Symptoms for rabies can vary from case to case, but I would be suspicious of any animal that starts to act in any unusual manner. I do think that sometimes BSE cases are diagnosed by untrained people as being rabies cases.

grammie

Hey folks:  Here is one for you.  Three years ago I witnessed our show heifer being bitten by a skunk.  She produced two blood spots on her nose so for sure the skunk made contact.  Husband shot the skunk, called the vet and had it sent away for testing.  The result was positive.  We were devestated so called our local vet who took the aporoach of what have you got to lose?  She vaccinated the heifer with the rabies vaccine and told us that it would almost definitely abort her calf.  We isolated the heifer for three months and guess what, she never aborted and she never got rabies.........dumb luck or did the post vaccine work?!

DL

uluru said:
Hey Grammie

Keep the skunks away from the shortys

Uluru

and keep the skunks - human and animal - away from the Maines too :eek: :eek:

and Grammie -  (welcome)