Ranking Club Calf Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tallcool1

Keeping it strictly club calf, rank your favorite bulls to use, My #1 is easily Heatwave but I'd like to hear what everybody else likes and why.

Bradenh

1. Solid gold- #of calves compared to # of champions is unreal with him, constant and good and Brandon horn says it best when you ask him what sort of cow works with solid gold and he says "an open one"

2.walks alone- I like him being from down south, the stoutness he adds to some of these plainer cows, he does miss once in a while but I like butts and guts. So I like walks alone

3. Man among boys- not sure if he will work amazing for the slick shows but he's so constant and as long as there's ft worth and jackpot shows he will have his place for sure, he's just what the industry needs. Easy feeding, maybe not as freaky and more practical and soggy, I like that

4.heatwave- defines inconsistent. When the kings of promotion and hype themselves even say "when he misses, he misses big" then you know it's bad. He's on the list for the home run potential and the fact that not one of the bulls on the list besides one would exist without him.

5. Bojo- also very under used bull, no heatwave in him so there's tons of options breeding to him. He's out of Ali so his females have a place, they also feed easy stay generally sound and he will make them hairy. I think he's very under rated

6. Milkman-being from slick country it would be stupid not to include him

Monopoly and i80 don't make the list because I think they are huff and fluff and promotion items. Not stout enough for me to want in texas, and I like them as fun to look at on the wash rack as they are with hair

knabe

ROMAX said:
This just proves we need another BULL BRACKET!

no it doesn't.

the results would be the 95% or greater the same.

no need to have yet another pull toy bull bracket.

when preferences in the ring dictate something other than heatwave et al, then another bull bracket will be in order.

that probably won't happen for 5 years or maybe even 10.

there really isn't anything i've seen out there or even anyone remotely trying anything different.  it has to be in the pipeline and no one is doing anything.  today's club calf multipliers have to be the least imaginative in the last 40 years.

Ohio1

knabe said:
ROMAX said:
This just proves we need another BULL BRACKET!

no it doesn't.

the results would be the 95% or greater the same.

no need to have yet another pull toy bull bracket.

when preferences in the ring dictate something other than heatwave et al, then another bull bracket will be in order.

that probably won't happen for 5 years or maybe even 10.

there really isn't anything i've seen out there or even anyone remotely trying anything different.  it has to be in the pipeline and no one is doing anything.  today's club calf multipliers have to be the least imaginative in the last 40 years.

Thought you didn't stay up with clubby?

Do you even know who heatwave is?

Tallcool1

Show stopper 95 said:
1. Solid gold- #of calves compared to # of champions is unreal with him, constant and good and Brandon horn says it best when you ask him what sort of cow works with solid gold and he says "an open one"

2.walks alone- I like him being from down south, the stoutness he adds to some of these plainer cows, he does miss once in a while but I like butts and guts. So I like walks alone

3. Man among boys- not sure if he will work amazing for the slick shows but he's so constant and as long as there's ft worth and jackpot shows he will have his place for sure, he's just what the industry needs. Easy feeding, maybe not as freaky and more practical and soggy, I like that

4.heatwave- defines inconsistent. When the kings of promotion and hype themselves even say "when he misses, he misses big" then you know it's bad. He's on the list for the home run potential and the fact that not one of the bulls on the list besides one would exist without him.

5. Bojo- also very under used bull, no heatwave in him so there's tons of options breeding to him. He's out of Ali so his females have a place, they also feed easy stay generally sound and he will make them hairy. I think he's very under rated

6. Milkman-being from slick country it would be stupid not to include him

Monopoly and i80 don't make the list because I think they are huff and fluff and promotion items. Not stout enough for me to want in texas, and I like them as fun to look at on the wash rack as they are with hair

I like your comments on Bojo.  If that bull had not been in the Legal Mess that he ended up in, I can't help but wonder how he may have caught fire.  He is so long bodied and his calves seem to have as much or more hair than the Monopoly calves, although I have not been around a whole lot of them. 

The Walks Alone calves are certainly thick and stout, but seem to be a little bit pieced together for me.  The ones that I have been around have been a little on the "flighty" side, but I know they are not all that way.

I agree with you on the Monopoly steers, but not the I-80's.  I have been really surprised at the number of I-80 steers that I have seen this fall, that have caught my eye.  Good shoulder, sound, and some of these calves really have some power to them.

Nice list!  I like your logic and the way you went about it. 

I may not agree with you, but you could out debate me with the good points you make.

Tallcool1

RankeCattleCo said:
I'm going to agree with knabe here, every bull since Heat Wave is the same damn thing. Heat Seeker was the last real extreme one IMO

One thing that makes this more evident is the fact that they are all clipped and presented to LOOK EXACTLY ALIKE!!! 

I personally believe that we are going to see steers begin to slowly become a little taller/bigger in the near future. 

Show Stopper has a really good point about Bojo.  That bull is different, he is not a Heatwave (although he goes back to Heat Seeker on the Dam side), and he is flat good.  Breed 10,000 head of top 25% cows to Bojo, and see what we have 24 months from now!

DLD

When he was younger, I was as big a Bojo fan as anybody.  But how many Bojo's have gone on to win as market steers?  I'm sure a few have, but I've been around quite a few of them (even raised a few), and most got a little framey and a little plainer in the end.  I will admit none of the Texas families I'm involved with have fed a Bojo yet, so I can't comment on how they slick. I'm not completely down on the bull, but he's one that I've come to like his daughters better than his sons.

I can't completely discount Monopoly.  I know he may not neccesarily the answer for slick ones, and he needs to be used on stouter cows, but there've been way too many winners and high sellers to write him off. 

I've never really considered I-80 a steer sire.  It's been a long time since any high percentage Maine bull has been used much in the clubby deal.  I do think in the future we could see some good steers out of I-80 daughters.

chambero

I'm going to argue with yall on Monopoly - for hair and slick calves.  A really good show steer - my definition for this argument is one that can make the sale at a Tx major - requires a good momma, a good daddy, and more than a little luck.  For the purposes of making good show steers, all of these sires have their weaknesses.  Several of you have Walks Alone pegged exactly right.  I've used the heck out of him.  I'm feeding four WA steers this year.  A very high percentage of the WA's I've raised are plenty stout, cool necked, sound enough.  But out of probably 30 WA bull calves so far over the last three years, I have yet to raise one that is truly balanced.  I'm feeding a yellow WA out of one of Freddy's beautiful pb Char cows.  He's massive, long, sound, great haired, and has gotten thumped all year because those individually great pieces d
don't fit together right.

Monopoly is pretty much the opposite side of that coin.  I've actually used him a lot less than I have WA.  But the two best black calves - start to finish - I've ever raised were Monopoly's.  I think every Monopoly bull calf I've raised was at least good enough to sell as a show steer.  Most aren't truly thick enough, but my odds of getting one that is have in practice been much higher than getting a WA put together right.  I've never had one cripple, and the ones I've fed have all gotten big enough.  They also tend to thicken up with age.

I've learned the hard way that you better start out with pretty, sound, and smooth.  There are things that can help with the muscle.  As the old saying goes, there ain't mo cure for ugly.