Rate of Gain at county fairs

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

Our county has a rate of gain contest that  does not enter into the judging or the sale order... .  They just get a mention and a special prize - like a plastic bucket - I'm not sure they even get any premium money.    We also have a carcass contest.    So there are basically 3 different contests going on and none are linked to the other.    I agree that we need to teach profitability but having a rate of gain contest at the fair is not going to accomplish that.   

renegade

We have ADG, Ultra sound, and carcass contests. None are really linked. You get a mention and a plaque for winning and thats it. Most of the time the ADG animal is not very good but i know the animal that won last year and he was a very good steer but that was the first time that kid had had a steer over 3 lbs a day.

minimoo38

i'll explain a little bit more. we just changed the rules about the Rate of Gain. the market steers have to make 2.2 and the market heifers have to make 2.0. (if anyone has any feeding ability, this wouldn't be difficult by any means.)

here's our schedule:

• Dec. 29- weigh-in- the calves can weigh whatever- we have no limits
  • Aug. 7-17- Iowa State Fair
  • Aug. 28- Sep. 1- our County Fair

the rate of gain contest is in addition to the show. the top ten are recognized and Champion & Reserve are awarded a trophy. they aren't recognized in the show, specifically, but it is printed in the show program.

as we enter the show ring, we get a sticker displaying our rate of gain, and if it doesn't make the 2.2/2.0, there is a red line through it. (which is EXACTLY like the Iowa State Fair!!)

we always have the same people that have a terrible rate of gain, like 1.25-1.4. how is this possible?

the main argument is that cost of gain is more important than rate of gain, but COG will take a lot more to figure than ROG.
Cost should be put into the recordbooks, and not at a show.

red

the reason is probably because they're a little older than some & need to be held. Also some people do a lot of showing & need to keep them at the right weight for a period of time.

At our fair the winners of the rate of gain rarely place high.

Red

Jill

I think (and this is just my opinion) we need to be teaching profitability, and I don't care if you make a profit or not, if you didn't you need to know why.  In Kansas there is no where in the record process where profit even comes into play, there is a profit/loss sheet on the KSU.EDU webiste, but as far as I can tell it isn't used at all.  I think these kids need to know the price of the animal they are showing, the cost to feed said animal (feed, water, hay and mineral), they need to know any vet, show fees and any other costs that would be associated with said animal.  My boys don't make a profit and never will, one big show weekend and profit is right out the window, but I think it is important that they learn what the costs associated with what they do are.

CAB

Until 2007 we have had a rate of gain min. of 2.5lbs/day. 2007 our county fair adopted state fair rules. 2.4 for steers & 2.2lbs for heifers. That being said, I am against ROG min. @ county fair level. There are so many differrent situations @ each kids home. Some 1st year, some no interest or help what so ever from parents, etc. It messes up the teaching aspect also b/c here is  a class of calves that come in and the judge gets the secret message that so & so's calf didn't make the min rog, so it can't win. Rather than announce this to the crowd, the judge just places him down a couple of places regardless if the calf was the best show calf in the class, so it messes up the placing of the classes. Too many variables IMO to have ROG min. for county fairs. I want it to be a fun learning experience for all that participate, and build self confidence, not a whole list of rules that really don't mean as much to me as a kid being a kid and experiencing as much as possible.

dutch pride

Jill said:
I think (and this is just my opinion) we need to be teaching profitability, and I don't care if you make a profit or not, if you didn't you need to know why. 

My son (and daughters when they showed) Buy (with their own money) their own steer( go out looking, talk to and bargin with producer or bid for on auction) pay for there own feed and vet bills etc. They know what their breakeven amount needed before the sale at the fair. Yes we help out with stuff like transportation to a couple shows and entry fees come out of farm expense but I think they understand a lot. We also show hogs and I think it is a lot easier to make money on hogs than steers and remain competitive. We have had several Grand and reserve Champion hogs and have always made money with them but have lost money on steers sometimes and have never placed higher than first or second in weight class. Got kind of off the subject but what are others experiences.

DLZ

Latest posts