raw material shortage?

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

maybe i don't need to worry as much as i do.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/124913.html

As Stanford University economist Paul Romer argues, humans become wealthier by improving the recipes for how we make stuff.
Sand and iron used to be just building materials; now we use them to make computer memory.

"If the world farmer reaches the average yield of today's US corn grower during the next 70 years, ten billion people eating as people now on average do will need only half of today's cropland. The land spared exceeds Amazonia. This will happen if farmers sustain the yearly 2 percent worldwide yield growth of grains achieved since 1960, in other words if social learning continues as usual."

Revkin entertains the suggestion by Boston College sociologist Juliet Schor that we should all relax and stop working so hard and instead "opt for a new economic and social vision based on quality of life, rather than quantity of stuff."

And in fact, consumers in markets winnow out all kinds of unnecessary things every day.

The Malthusian meme always insists "things just can't go on like this." Of course, if "things can't go on like this," then they don't. Humanity changes course and things get better. At least that has been the story of the last two centuries and the evidence is that it will be the story of the 21st century as well.

this is what i have been doing.  i would also like to know the impact of junk mail on global warming, employee count at the post office etc.  i have returned junk mail once in a while to the sender just for fun.

knabe

in the patrick henry model model, but not the current one's who seem a little too counterpunchy, weakknee'd for me.

i guess i would have to say i am combination of franklin's federalism solutions, henry's libertyism (not a misspelling), hamilton's bankingism, washington's expansionism (not monroe's, washington was more agressive), and adam's pragmatism, and probably his pissy attitude.  wish i had more of franklin's grace, humor and charm.

once again, my least favorites were jefferson, burr (and not cause he killed, yes killed hamilton), maybe madison as he was kind of a jimmy carter except more of a hypocrite (he had great ideas on unionism and protecting it, as well as probably the source of the great comprimise) and monroe, as he denied his hypocrasy as well, ie the monroe doctrine from earlier times.

Latest posts