Re: Fat Butt gestation lengths (with pics!)

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

Anyone have longer than average Fat Butt gestation lengths? Our good cow, Bling, was due the 21st (285 days) and we are still waiting. She is 5 and has had 4 calves, all unassisted and raised them (one set of twins), so I know she can have a calf with no problem. I am just getting a bit worried. We had no breeding age bulls at that time, we AI'd her, and she was confirmed bred carrying a heifer calf at 70 days. So I am sure her due date is correct. All of her calves were pretty much on time or a few days early, except her second which was 3 days late (and a heifer).
Here is a picture of her taken Wednesday right before my daughter sheared her to make her more comfortable. She is bagged up and loose in the rear, so I know it is any day now, just hate waiting!

Attachments

• bling 312.jpg
    bling 312.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 382

LN

Be patient, the calf will come. My older cows go overdue almost 2 weeks sometimes.

Simmgal

Interesting. Mine was longer than her due date by a few weeks. I just figured I would let nature run it's course.

ZZCATLE

Not to worry had one two weeks over weighed around 100.  Had another 18 days late weighed around 110.  Should come out with some chrome big hip and bone.

T-Majic

Just had my first fat butt calf today and it was 3 days ealry, 280 days.  Little heifer calf, weighed around 75 lbs and solid black out of an angus cow. Have 3 other coming and two appear as though they should be any day now and one I am thinking will be over her due date.

gary89

If you guys get a chance I would love to see pictures of these. Have not heard much about Fat Butt calves, only seen a few pictures in the add not much else. Saw a couple bull calves out of him last fall, had a little front but otherwise pretty good. These were purebreds.

firesweepranch

Well, Bling did it without us! We went to church this morning, and came home to find both mom and heifer happy under the ceder tree like life was just peachy! She looks just like her mom (notice the lip? That is how Bling got her name; she just had a little Bling  ;D )
Anyway, she is 87 pounds and THICK. Her back legs are set wide!!! She has a little white on her belly also. We are happy, this is our first white faced heifer!!!

Here she is...

Attachments

• faith and bling 2 bday.jpg
    faith and bling 2 bday.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 382
  • faith and bling bday.jpg
    faith and bling bday.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 415
  • faith bday.jpg
    faith bday.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 380

ALTSIMMY 79

Great looking heifer calf you have there , and momma too as far as that goes ! Looks like it worked , I see it says Built Right in the cows tag , I might have been leary on too much white with the Built Right x Fat Butt combo.

firesweepranch

ALTSIMMY 79 said:
Great looking heifer calf you have there , and momma too as far as that goes ! Looks like it worked , I see it says Built Right in the cows tag , I might have been leary on too much white with the Built Right x Fat Butt combo.

Out of four of her first calves, only ONE ever had any white! That is one of the reasons my daughter used Fat Butt on her, she wanted a white faced heifer!!! I don't think she would have cared if there was more white, but she is happy with what she got! Now to wait and see what this little lady turns out like. This cow has clicked with EVERYTHING we have bred her to, so it will be neat to see how she grows. The white faced bull I posted pics on earlier (some of our bulls and a steer) is her last calf, out of Dominator, so you see what kind of calves she throws. Her heifer from the year before that won our big district fair last year (by Real McCoy), beating heifers like OBCC Sadie's Girl (the heifer the Owens showed last year that won so much!) there. So the cow can have nice calves. I think we might flush her this spring, after 5 calves I think she has proven herself to be an outstanding producer, but we may have owner blindness!!!

gary89

Always great to come home and find mother and newborn doing well. Good luck with her and keep us posted. Thanks for the pictures, looks like I may have to add some Fat Butt to my list.

T-Majic

I just had one go 292 days out of an angus cow.  Nice bull calf, solid black, really good hair and bone.  Was impressed when I first saw him..  ;D Wish I had  better luck with cows getting AI-ed and had more calves out of fat butt. I will post pics of the calf and heifer calf that came at 280 days.

SimMagic

For those of you who haven't seen many Fat Butts, here is a Fat Butt x Westfall Crossfire x Night Moves. Purebred.

Her PCC Night Moves grandam is also pictured.

Attachments

• Star.jpg
    Star.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Night Sky.jpg
    Night Sky.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 158

Gargan

SimMagic said:
For those of you who haven't seen many Fat Butts, here is a Fat Butt x Westfall Crossfire x Night Moves. Purebred.

Her PCC Night Moves grandam is also pictured.

i like!!

CAB

Does anyone have any thoughts about Fat Butt's full sib that ABS has acquired? I think that his name was Flyin B Final Cut. Black, full faced baldy that looks great in his picture.

And Oh BTW FSR, that is one great looking pair that you have laying under the oldcedar tree. Good luck with them in the future.

firesweepranch

CAB said:
Does anyone have any thoughts about Fat Butt's full sib that ABS has acquired? I think that his name was Flyin B Final Cut. Black, full faced baldy that looks great in his picture.

And Oh BTW FSR, that is one great looking pair that you have laying under the oldcedar tree. Good luck with them in the future.

I sure like him! I'd like to see some of his calves. My daughter likes his pic better than Fat Butt!

AFA our Fat Butt heifer, she looks better and better each day in the pasture. I bet she makes it to Nationals next year  ;) Thank you for the complements!  (thumbsup)