Re-using CIDRS?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ELBEE

We just got done pulling CIDRS from they'er second go around. What do you think, should we try to use them a third time? Doc. Lana? Anybody?

DL

ELBEE said:
We just got done pulling CIDRS from they'er second go around. What do you think, should we try to use them a third time? Doc. Lana? Anybody?

Canadian CIDRs have more progesterone in them than the US CIDRs so they can be used 3 times. US CIDRs has enough for 2 cycles - so I guess I wouldn't waste my time...if they were made in the good old US of A .
(dog) (dog) (dog)

red

Also if you reuse them- what is the best way to clean them?
What are some of the things that you need to know if reusing them? Handling precautions etc...
Red

ELBEE

After the first go we rinsed them of at the hydrant, using the boot brush (kinda like cleaning your overboots), let them dry, then stored them in open topped ice cream buckets on top of the meds-beverage fridge, in the tack room.

CAB

Elbee, How long or many years have you been cleaning & reusing like this & can you tell ant differences in your results? Thank you in advance. Cab

DL

sjcattleco said:
What if you put in more than one?  would that work on a third go around?

OK sj I have tried real hard not to anthropomorphize an answer for you - in fact I spent all morning spreading manure trying to come up with something not only professional but kind - and I am afraid I really can't so since there are children present somewhere --- I will say this...

you have used up most of the progesterone in the implant by the second time you use them - why would you waste your time, effort, cattle handling etc to do it (not to mention the potentioal welfare/comfort issues of the cow)...would you spend time and effort planting seeds you knew were not fertile?

Re cleaning - there are multiple protocols - there is one in an old SEK catalog that I scanned (somewhere) - most involve removing the crud, dipping in novasan (dilute) cleaning off the Novasan in several buckets of H20 and then drying and storing - some people store in the freezer.

There was a discussion a while back on ss (where ever it is now) - most people (DLD? chambero? stick? I can't remember who) said they used new CIDR's on "important" cows (flush, Queen Elizabeth etc) and "used" CIDRs on "less important ones.....

steers4u

When we bought them from Canada we used them twice but the new U.S.A. ones we use just once. It is not worth all the effort and all the drug and semen expense to save $4 and change if it cost us even 1 pregnacy. When we did reuse them we did it just like above H2O and a brush store in open bag or sack in the fridge. Hope this helps... And you can't be serious about using two .....If so ask your Doctor to see if you have an enlarged prostrate by using his whole hand....Just kidding!

DL

steers4u said:
When we bought them from Canada we used them twice but the new U.S.A. ones we use just once. It is not worth all the effort and all the drug and semen expense to save $4 and change if it cost us even 1 pregnacy. When we did reuse them we did it just like above H2O and a brush store in open bag or sack in the fridge. Hope this helps... And you can't be serious about using two .....If so ask your Doctor to see if you have an enlarged prostrate by using his whole hand....Just kidding!

I don't re use them - it isn't worth my time or effort to clean them and store them - but I don't use many and there are some things I just ain't gonna do. I remember that chambero was the designated cleaner for his family (what an honor!!). I agree with you! I also believe that any man who would put 2 CIDR's in a cow should have a physician with hands the size of Kind Kong (and I mean the ape not the TH carrier bull) ;D ;D (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

(Now practicing medicine in Manhattan,  Dr Kong, King Kong, catering to.....

chambero

You become real popular with the rest of the family if you clean them and then let them dry in a closed in portion of the house (i.e. a garage).  Those things stink to high holy h**l (sorry, but no other description for it). 

It might not be necessary, but after drying we put ours in ziplock bags and stored them in the refrigerator to further inhibit bacterial growth.  It seemed to work.

Why do we all have a spare refrigerator that we store cattle drugs and other nasty things in along with drinks?  Leftover food gets put in ours also.  And we wonder why it tastes funny sometimes.

red

Your place sounds like ours! We have little bags of silage in our freezer plus inoculant. there is always that little off odor & taste to the stuff.

Red

ELBEE

If you saw some of the (cheap) help we have around, you wouldn't want them walking across you kitchen for a brewski either.

As far as reusing CIDRS, they're not a sure thing on the first go, so I say we see similar results on second go. Sometimes I question the affects of the prostoglandin. How would we ever know if it is of good quality? How could we test it? We had up to 100% fa lure on some batches that we've sincroed.. That's before CIDRS's!

shorthorns r us

never had any luck with reusing US CIDRs.  seem to get only about 50% effectiveness.  about 2.5 years ago i bought 4 cases in mexico for $1.10 per cidr.  label said they had about 5x the hormone compared to what the folks at REI told me the US models had.  thats an odd phone call to make to your normal supplier.  later talked to  one of hutch's guys at REI that said he had heard of folks buying them down there.  used them 3 times with awesome results.

to the question.  dishwasher, china setting, little bit of detergent,  NO rinseaid,  bag and store in freezer.

xxcc

DL's response in regard to cleaning the CIDRs is what I've heard and used.

When I pull them, I have a bucket with Nolvasan right there and throw all of the used CIDRs in it, let them soak pretty good and then take them home and soak them with Nolvasan and hot water, dry them on towels and in a well ventilated area, them when you know they are good and dry, put them either back in the original CIDR bags, or a garbage bag or tupperware containet or something.  But make sure they are dry or they may mold.  If you reuse an old CIDR bag, be sure to write on it which use you are on so you don't get mixed up.  I actually reused some once that I had intended to throw away(cleaned though), but they got mixed up.

My protocol came from Cedar Top Ranch and Universal Semen Sales.

Gypsy

The vet I use for E.T. and flushing (basically this is his whole practice) told me that it was fine to reuse the CIDRs and to clean them the way that has been mentioned above and then to store them after they were dry in clean paper grocery bags.  I write the number I have in a bag on the outside and staple the top closed.  They stay clean and dry (no mold) that way. 

After I clean them I mash the end of the CIDR (the nylon twine part) with a pair of pliers.  Then when I pull the CIDR out the second time I don't have to try and remember if it is a new or used one, I can feel the end.  Sometimes we have both new and used CIDR's in a large group of cows and this makes sorting them out as you take them out of the cows much, much easier!  I just never wash one with a mashed end.   

bradycreek

If you were to re use a cidr would it be in teh same breeding season or can you store them for over a year if cleaned as mentioned above.
thanks I'm always trying to learn and I've already learned a lot from this great site.... ;D
dh

BRdoc

We have always only used CIDR's twice. Cleaned as everyone has said above. I have had pretty good luck with the once used ones. But I do agree with DL, I will probably  start using only once. For the time and money we spend getting our precious hussies bred, we shouldn't go cheap on the extra $4. Funny bit of advice...If you do clean and set out to dry, DO NOT dry outside if you have any dogs!!! My dog ATE 25 CIDR's two weeks ago!javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0) She probably won't come in heat for a few years!
DL, have you heard of putting used CIDR's in the microwave??? My friends AI tech said it helped alot???

jrg

I'm with Steers4U and BRdoc on this one.  That extra $4 savings isn't that great if you miss a pregnancy or two.  What I have done in the past is use them once, clean them, then give or sell them to a neighbor at half the price.  He usually has about the same luck as I do on the first go round.  Usually he uses them the same breeding season, but I think he has held them over a breading season and had the same success rate.

Has anyone heard of putting the CIDRs in for 18 days?  I just heard of someone using this protocol this week for the first time.  He said that is what they were initially intended for, that is why you can use them twice?!  It made some sense when he explained it, but I wondered why no one else is doing it.  I would hate to clean the CIDRs left in for 18 days!  I'll let everyone know how it works out for him.

daydreamingacres

At Uconn we would put CIDRS in then breed then put them back in a few days later in the dairy herd....probably more easily practiced there then i a beef herd where it may be hard to get your hand on cows thet many times.

Jill

We use ours twice and have not ever had a problem, we had a neighbor that tried them the 3rd time and had no luck.  We have used them in a different breeding season, just make sure you keep them out of sunlight.