Re-using CIDRS?

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

Has anyone ever heard of putting CIDRs i nto recips after the embryos has been implanted? I have a friend who tells me that some ET vets in Eastern Canada are doing this and they are having much higher pregancy rates. He said they are leaving the CIDR in the recip as long as possible, some until they drop out themselves ( I am not sure how long this is, but it sounds kinda gross!) Apparenty they are having as much as 20- 25% higher pregnancy rate. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has heard of this?

As for re using CIDRs, I use them twice and sometimes 3 times.... but I live in Canada. I wrote about this once before on here, in regards to an experient I did several years ago using CIDRs for a 3rd time. A reproductive vet at teh U of S told me that they vused CIDRs at least 3 times and were going to try using them a 4th time. I had kept 10 May calving cows home to keep the grass down around the feedlot for part of the summer. I put CIDRs in them all that had been used twice previously, and then bred them AI after they were pulled.9 out of the 10, calved in March the following year. One was open in the fall. I have routinely used CIDRs to shorten up the calving season since. It doesn't work with them all, but I have been able to get some good producing cows calving back with the bulk of the herd.

My ET vets tell me to wash them thoroughly in warm water, with a brush. Allow them to air dry , put them in zip lock bags or brown paper bags in a cool dark location. I have heard of some putting them in the freezer, but on my CIDR bags it says " do not freeze" so I have been reluctant to try it. I have also heard that some vet colleges wash used CIDRs in a washing machine and then air dry. I wonder about losing some of the product in them, but I don't know if that is a concern or not.

ai er

I re-use some.  Clean them in Nolvasan, let air dry.  Tie a knot in the end of the used ones to differentiate from the new ones.  I haven't seen a difference between new and used.  But I don't
carry them over to the next year.  I'll buy new ones every year.

Bawndoh

One thing on here that nobody mentioned is the possible spread of bovine STD's and diseases.  This goes for everyone, as you never know when an animal in your own herd has caught something you dont know about.  An even better way to re-use those CIDR's is by marking on each one, the tag number of the cow, and then put her old CIDR back in her. 

CAB

I'm just wondering, does anyone know FOR SURE that there are different strengths of progesterone? As far as I know, doesn't pfizer make them all? Just wondering.

BRdoc

Justintime, I partner with some ET cattle. We use my recips. Our conception was a whopping 20% this spring. Needless to say, we tossed that vet. The new vet was much more prescise with everything. He made us put CIDRs in immed following the embryo. Said the same thing about better conception rates. I will hopefully remember to post results.

Rustynail, When we say $4, we are talking about the net cost. CIDRs are bout $8. to skip the re-use, it's only netting you an extra $4 to put in new...per CIDR.

BRdoc

Bawndoh, Your theory looks good on paper. But, To keep from spreading any disease on that CIDR, you must pull it...put it in a totally seperate bag...wash it seperate...and store it seperate. It's a great idea for control. but here is my main problem with it...I am much to lazy to take all the extra steps!!! rather spend than to labor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bawndoh

BRdoc said:
Bawndoh, Your theory looks good on paper. But, To keep from spreading any disease on that CIDR, you must pull it...put it in a totally seperate bag...wash it seperate...and store it seperate. It's a great idea for control. but here is my main problem with it...I am much to lazy to take all the extra steps!!! rather spend than to labor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well doing that is much cheaper than losing a $20,000 donor because someone was a little lazy.

BRdoc

Bawndoh, What i meant was too lazy to do that extra stuff AND would just use the NEW each time. not knocking your advice at all. just admitting my laziness!