Re-using CIDRs

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

I know we have had multiple discussions about re-using CIDRs, how to clean them etc. I have stumbled across a couple of articles that might cause you to think twice before re using them (and could be ammunition chambero for not having to clean them!)

Hermann & Wallace "Effect of new and reused CIDRs on serum progesterone concentrations in lactating dairy cows" Bovine Practitioner Spring 2007 (p41)

Bottom line - re-use of the US CIDRs (1.38 gms of progesterone) resulted in significantly lower serum progesterone that on the first use

Colazo et al "Fertility in beef cattlegiven new or previously used CIDR..."(these were the Canadian 1.9 gm progesterone, that in theory have enough progesterone for 3 uses) Anim Reprod Sci 81:25-34, 2004

Bottom line - significant decrease in pregnancy rates with the twice used compared to the new or once used

Food for thought....

red

my question on CIDR's- how do you store them? Our nephews tend to leave them in the pick-up truck. Hubby believes this affects their potency ( the heat). True? One of the on going battles dealing w/ people not as repsonsible as you'd like them to be.

Great information by the way DL! Helps me decide on reusing them. Especially if I'm wanting to use some expensive semen.

Red

DL

red said:
my question on CIDR's- how do you store them? Our nephews tend to leave them in the pick-up truck. Hubby believes this affects their potency ( the heat). True? One of the on going battles dealing w/ people not as repsonsible as you'd like them to be.

I wouldn't leave my dog in a closed truck and I wouldn't store CIDRs in a closed pick up either - it gets darn hot and if you can kill a mammal in an enclosed vehicle I imagine you could kill a CIDR. Store less than 80 degrees - hubby wins, nephews lose - pay up boys!

red

No dogs in the the pickup!
funny story though!
Boys took 4 wheeler on a trailer to scout fields about 15 miles away. While they were riding in field the kept hearing a cat meowing. Argued w/ each other that the other was meowing. Finally looked & one of the farm cats had stowed away. She ran off but they searched & finally brought her home. They knew the wrath of Red would get them if they lost one of my cats. No, not Killer.

I'll make sure hubby collects! Usually the bet is a dinner.

Red