Reasonably Priced shorthorn A.I. bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortii

I was interested in getting some Asset semen but turns out the cost has gone up from $25 to $300. I cant afford that. Any ideas? I have used Ace of Diamonds, and Jakes Proud Jazz and have been very happy with both of them. Have people had much success with TM Gus? What has everyone else used?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Will

depends on your goals.  But I will say for certain scenerio's I like all of the bulls you have mentioned.

Pleasant Grove Farms

just a plug here for Jake's Proud Jazz...
saw him about 10 days ago at stud at Dakota Sires in Mitchell, SD
he is now 10 and 1/2 years old and sound as can be; amazing longevity!
he was leased out this summer for natural service also.
they said he still produces well, although being he is of the older persuasion,
they let him rest about 1 week/month........

OKshorthorn

What was the reason you wanted to use Asset? You can use a full sib to Asset: SULL Da Vinci Code 635, for $40 per straw or a son of Asset: SULL Fed Ex for $50 per straw. 

shortii

Redwine Cattle said:
What was the reason you wanted to use Asset? You can use a full sib to Asset: SULL Da Vinci Code 635, for $40 per straw or a son of Asset: SULL Fed Ex for $50 per straw. 

I saw on Sullivan's website that they were asking $25 a unit but apparently that's old. I do like both of the bulls that you have mentioned but I have also heard that Da Vinci code has huge calves. I don't know if that's true or not. 

OKshorthorn

I haven't had any calves out of either of the bulls myself so I can't speak for the size of the calves. We have used Phildon Get Serious and Phildon JBS Fringe the last couple years as well as JPJ. I have been very impressed with the calves from all of them. I like the style and look of the Get Serious calves more than the others. The Fringe calves have been extremely thick, but we have had 2 this year over a 100 lbs, I doubt we will be using him again unless it is with a specific cow that we feel good about her size. The JPJ calves have also been thick, maybe the best one of our calves this year is a bull calf out of him, I just like the flashy look from Get Serious personally. But he does seem to give up some thickness to the other too. 

kfacres

shortii said:
Redwine Cattle said:

I saw on Sullivan's website that they were asking $25 a unit but apparently that's old. I do like both of the bulls that you have mentioned but I have also heard that Da Vinci code has huge calves. I don't know if that's true or not.   

and that's different from any other bull from that breeding program/ bloodline/ breed???

OKshorthorn

I hate clubby bulls and most people- HW is fake & overrated said:
shortii said:
Redwine Cattle said:

and that's different from any other bull from that breeding program/ bloodline/ breed???

I don't think you can generalize that to such a degree. For instance if you look at Fringe and Get Serious they are really close genetic wise. I have had 2 really big 100 + calves out of him, the others high 80's and 90's. With Get Serious, we have had no problems at all, with calves ranging from high 60's to low 80's. All on the same cows, with the same pedigrees. Those 2 bulls have pretty much the same bloodline, and are sure as heck in the same breed. How do you explain that?

Mueller Show Cattle

Have any of you had any Salute calves, his semen is $50 also. I have seen a couple cows out of Salute that I really like, just wanted to see if most of his stock is that nice. Was planning on using him and just wanted to see if anyone had any recent calves out of him.

OKshorthorn

We have only had 1 Salute calf. He was a bull calf, wasn't that big at birth but got pretty leggy for us. I'll attach a video that I took of the Salute bull calf and a picture of a heifer from the same cow out of Fringe. JIT on here has a son out of Salute that is really doing well from what I read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apx44vTJz9A

Attachments

• OYE - 1 (cropped).jpg
    OYE - 1 (cropped).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 119

OKshorthorn

Here is a picture of the cow. She is 11 in the pic and we had just weaned the bull calf in the video when we took this. She is a larger framed cow.

Attachments

• Alexis - 1.jpg
    Alexis - 1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 126

kfacres

shortii said:
What about SULL Sinister? Just looking at my options

You seem to be only interested in SULL bulls...  Why don't you just ask ole MR. Sull himself, and from what I hear- he'll shoot it to you straight and honest- just like most bull owners. 

Most people on here aren't using those bulls, as most are syndicated, and almost all are genetically identical to the playing filed. 

mark tenenbaum

How are your cows bred? How big do you want them? Here are a few-most CAN BE bred to hiefers,with caution. Hc Touchdown and his paternal brother RS After Hours are 2 of the thickest easiest calving REAL LIFE EPD bulls that sire calves people can show, There are many others-Wymore certainly comes to mind ($15 per straw):although  I got word from a friend that there have been some disasters out of him.Either of Vogels Bulls: Charisma etc,Further back are bulls like GB Daybreak Express-which if they had been used south of the Dakotas,would have really gotten more exposure. O0

J

JTM

We have some calves out of our bull Star Bucks this fall. The birth weights are averaging 88lbs with the two high ones at 95lbs each. We scale weigh our calves. I would recommend him on second calvers but not on heifers yet because we assisted one heifer and the other was unassisted. Just not enough to make that recommendation yet. The calves are very fancy, nice fronted with long necks, nice hips, bone, and decent thickness. All I know is that I'm really happy with him. I have had a lot of mixed results with other popular Shorthorn bulls with birth weights so I am very pleased with what we are seeing so far out of Star Bucks. I wouldn't be self promoting if I didn't truly believe that this bull is a good option for you. Good luck.
Oh yeah, $25 per straw. Cattle Visions, SEK Genetics, or me.

Attachments

• Star Bucks Denver (2) low res.jpg
    Star Bucks Denver (2) low res.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 119

OH Breeder

shortii said:
I was interested in getting some Asset semen but turns out the cost has gone up from $25 to $300. I cant afford that. Any ideas? I have used Ace of Diamonds, and Jakes Proud Jazz and have been very happy with both of them. Have people had much success with TM Gus? What has everyone else used?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

What bloodlines are you working with in your cow herd?
What are your goals for your calves?