Rebreeding cows and first time heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

How long after calving is the proper time to wait for rebreeding.  Last year I went 45 days on most before giving them CIDR's.  Thoughts?

GLZ

when do you want your calves born?  fiigure that out and go backwards on the calender.

Maybe I should clarify my post a little more.  How long do I have to wait after they calve to rebreed them?  Obviously an open cow/heifer isn't making money, however I know you don't want them in the chute the week the calf was born either.  What is the proper time to wait after a cow has calved to rebreed?

shorthorns r us

in my exerience, waiting 45 days is about as quick as you can reasonable do it with GOOD success.  they should be cycling about that time also.  35 days is moderately successfull.  any earlier and i have not seen much success.

CAB

You will have cows cycling 20-25 days post partum and 45 days is OK, but rule of thumb would be 60 days, that would give you 2 cycles & still keep calving interval @ 1 year.

kanshow

In general, I think it takes a heifer a little longer to cycle after having a calf - thus one of the many reasons we breed our heifers to calve 30 days before the rest of the cows. 

Like the PPS have said 45 days is about the earliest.  When we were trying to synch recips, the ET guys said don't even bother with cows less than 60 days out because the success rate just isnt' there. 

CPL

45-60 days should work. If they've had a bigger than usual calf (or any other problems) you may want to wait a little longer.

Bawndoh

In order for your cow to calve on the exact same date every year she has to be bred within 88 days of calving.  So if you get her bred at 60 days, or even 45, then you are doing great!