Recip program

Help Support Steer Planet:

drl

I am looking to get some regular cows to make into recipients for our ET program. What tips do you guys have as to where or where not to get recip cows? We have a great vet to work with for doing the ET work at home so I was looking to do it more in house rather than using an ET center like a Trans Ova. Does it cost too much to breed up my own recips compared to buying cows?

jbzdad

I think if you raise or buy decent club calf genetics you would have a chance for a county fair calf out of a clean up bull, yhere was a listing in classified of some bred heifers that would probably make great recips.. and maybe a keeper

temperment , temperment temperment... certanily don't need any attitudes from the recips

just so I could get a quicker start with some embryos I have "rented" a couple of recips from my embryologist... the good news is I don't have to pay the full amount unless they settle with the embryo... we had 2 grade 2 eggs we put in those recips

if you are going to buy them at the sale barn I would certainly buy them early enough to sort out any disposition troubles and let those have a quick ride back

Bulldaddy

We look for strong maternal genetics and often use our own cows as recips.  Ours happen to be Simmental/Angus crosses but there are other types that will make good recips. 

BadgerFan

Recip cows need to have a calf, milk well and breed back.  Cattle that do that are far more plentiful than most think.    I'd worry more about the worthiness of the donor.

Does it take a good cow to be a good recip?  Absolutely, but there's no magic to it.  Most breeds and lots of pedigrees can work.  One of the best SM bulls I've seen in a while was raised by a half belted galloway cow. 

Heck, most club calves are weaned or creep fed at a very young age anyway.  The cow is mostly an incubator.  (lol)

fitter22

I have a bunch of recips for sale right now. You can pick out as many as you want. PM me for more info.

jbzdad

we are probably doing it different than you guys.. if our embryos don't take we are going to end up with a clean-up calf... therefore the quality of the clean-up bull and recip is a factor for us

we also creep in late summer but I still think milk counts.

we sync and if the cow comes in heat and palpates with a CL she gets an embryo... then she and her calf go to pasture with the clean up... we haven't tried to heat detect at 2 weeks after implant to consider another implant

CCW

Don't buy recips at a sale barn unless they are having a herd sell out from a reputation ranch. You're just asking for someone else's problems. You are better off buying private treaty from a reputable commercial cattle breeder. Good recips who milk adequate, aren't crazy, and fertile are definitely worth a couple hundred bucks above sale barn price.

BadgerFan

BadgerFan said:
Heck, most club calves are weaned or creep fed at a very young age anyway.  The cow is mostly an incubator.   (lol)

just to be clear- this was a joke.

justintime

Several years ago, I was wanted to start a recip herd, so I purchased a set of 40 heifer calves from a reputation ranch at a feeder sale. I bred them all as yearlings and then sold 15 off the bottom as bred heifers. I was able to greatly reduce the actual cash I had in these females not considering my feed required to take them through the winter. I am still using several of them and they are now 12 years old. They are Angus and Maine/ Angus cross and they have worked exceptionally well.

I would agree with the comment regarding temperament. Temperament of the recipient, in my opinion, is just as important as their milking ability. There is nothing worse than trying to domesticate a good ET calf that is bonkers simply because the recip was. I cannot stress this enough.

When we were feeding cattle, I had a standing order at a auction barn that had lots of dairies in the area, for Hereford X Holstien or Shorthorn X Holstien heifers. I was able to get about 20 of them and they were about the best recips I ever used. They had great udders, lots of milk, had enough capacity to retain their condition, and they were very quiet. I weaned the calves from them a little early and put them back in the feedlot and finished them, and they all sold as heifers on the rail. I was able to buy them at a substantial discount because they were dairy cross.