Recommended bulls?

Help Support Steer Planet:

AKTcattle

Hey all,
So i have Heatwave heifer. She's a little on the small side. I've been debating on which bull to breed her to and have narrowed my decision down to Crimson Tide or I-80. Any advice or pictures would be helpful!
Thanks
PS here's a pic

Attachments

• Baby Rue.jpg
    Baby Rue.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166

hntwhitetail

I'd go w/ an angus bull.  I've seen some Limestone Great Divide calves and they look good.  Havn't seen one out of a HW momma yet.  I-80 may work better than ali if you go that route.  I have a real nice Ali 2 bull out of a pb angus that I'll be using on a lot of first calf heifers, but no HW genetics behind them.

ploughshare

Ditto on using the lightest bw bull around on the small framed HW heifer.  Forget the clubby bulls unless you want to deal with problems.  Make it easy for her until she learns to be a cow.  I might suggest Exar Tryon to get her started.  He will add maternal calving ease if she should have a heifer you would retain.  Might not be a great calf, but you will have a cow calf pair next year.

knabe

Assuming the death rate would be 90%, if you bred 100 heat wave heifers to a non angus bull, is ther the genetic freak chance you could get an 80 pound calf that was a little bit bigger than the mother and would be worth something.  Would you need to breed 1000 heifers?

ploughshare

knabe said:
Assuming the death rate would be 90%, if you bred 100 heat wave heifers to a non angus bull, is ther the genetic freak chance you could get an 80 pound calf that was a little bit bigger than the mother and would be worth something.  Would you need to breed 1000 heifers?
Seems like a lot of work (and a lot of risk) to find out is you assume a normal distribution which I doubt if the rumors of HW's birth weight are even remotely correct.

knabe

Glenstory said:
knabe said:
Seems like a lot of work (and a lot of risk) to find out is you assume a normal distribution which I doubt if the rumors of HW's birth weight are even remotely correct.

I know it's a lot of work, just asking the question as a hypothetical.  I do assume a normal distribution.  The risk is high but would the reward be high as well?  Perhaps the result would also be defect free and red so we could give it to bull turd.

ZNT

AKTcattle said:
Hey all,
So i have Heatwave heifer. She's a little on the small side. I've been debating on which bull to breed her to and have narrowed my decision down to Crimson Tide or I-80. Any advice or pictures would be helpful!
Thanks
PS here's a pic

Triple X works well on Heatwave cattle.  He is a 3/4 Maine sire that is proven to thow light birthweight calves that have some growth, muscle and look.  Plus he is TH and PHA Free.  You can get semen on him through SEK Gentics.  We wil be showing an exellent daughter of his at the National Maine Show in Ft. Worth this year.

http://www.zntcattle.com/p/znt-triple-x.html

Freerider

I agree with breeding her Angus, CE low BW Angus not just any old Angus. I've been having some big calves out of Eagle Eye for example.

Heat Wave and angus work well, you'll increase your chance of an easy birth, plus you should get a nice calf out of her.

The real question is, how will she.......no not going there  <deadhorse>

LLBUX

For her first calf, I suggest Jakes Proud Jazz for a stylish, low birthweight calf that will live.

These Shorthorn Plus calves are easy to register(cheap too) and are readily accepted.

Get a live calf first!

Good luck!

WJ Farms

The next question is after she has the calf and its alive and everything goes well with the birthing process.....how is she gonna milk?? Heatwave daughters are nice to look at but very rarely do you find one with the "mother quality" .........just a thought....not to burst anybodys bubble but I think some people will agree with me on this.

Thanks

Warrior10

WJ Farms said:
The next question is after she has the calf and its alive and everything goes well with the birthing process.....how is she gonna milk?? Heatwave daughters are nice to look at but very rarely do you find one with the "mother quality" .........just a thought....not to burst anybodys bubble but I think some people will agree with me on this.

Thanks
Yes and no. I personally have had mixed results...one of my hw daughters is everthing you can ask out of cow...the other has macetitis that has be drained when she calves...

kfacres

macetitis

equal

mastitis?? 

That's fixable with PENN, or most other antibiotics.  That's not genetic- although I've heard research stating certain lines can be more prone to it than others...

Warrior10

Cut the BS said:
macetitis

equal

mastitis?? 

That's fixable with PENN, or most other antibiotics.  That's not genetic- although I've heard research stating certain lines can be more prone to it than others...
Yup, wasn't sure how to spell it and was in the middle of class so didn't have the resources to look it up. Thanks, I didn't think it was genetic. Was just stating how one of my HW cows has milking problems.
Back to the original question though....I would stick with Angus on her. By the looks of her she has some serious potential so you shouldn't take ANY chances imo.

I would use I-80. I think he is a real good bull and has the genetics to throw you a nice calf at a low birth weight. Bred to your heatwave heifer i would look for a pretty dang nice calf.

branson.m.

Angus bull for sure, my preference would be Silveiras Style 9303 or Bismark. I have a Heatseeker cow that I flushed to him and the calves are great, steers are super clubby, and the heifers definitely picked up the Angus. Taking pictures tomorow, if your not sold yet you will be when you see the calves. Silveiras Style 9303.... final awnser. Good Luck !!!

ploughshare

Style is NOT first calf heifer acceptable.  He will work for second calf and beyond.  I would use something easier calving or face the consequences.