Red And White One And Only Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Carlson Cattle

The other day i had a red one and only bull calf with a white face. The calf was out of a hairy bear cow. Just wondering if anyone had seen any good red ones out of one and only, or does he have a small chance of being competitive? Or did the semen get mixed up? Just wondering  :-\ Thanks

frostback

Yup its a One and Only. Bred him to a white shorthorn thinking blue roan and I got a Hereford. Will technically she is a red roan but she is as close to a Hereford ill ever get. Sorry no photo, but she is a keeper.

Carlson Cattle

well my hairy bear is black and the calf does look just like a herford, like posted previously.  i don't get it....

FriedgesCharolais

Your cow is obviously not homozygous black, so the calf got one red color gene from mama and one red color gene from papa giving you a red calf. Genetics 101.

Carlson Cattle

HiddenCreekCattle said:
Your cow is obviously not homozygous black, so the calf got one red color gene from mama and one red color gene from papa giving you a red calf. Genetics 101.

it all makes sense now. Thanks

Tallcool1

PERSONALLY, I have never seen a red One & Only.  I have also never seen a One & Only that was NOT a Black Baldy.

Furthermore, the one and only...One & Only...that I have seen was pretty good.  In fact, REALLY good. 

Due to my limited personal knowledge of One & Only, this is likely to be the one and only time that I will ever post about One & Only, or any of his offspring for that matter.

Thank You

Carlson Cattle

Tallcool1 said:
PERSONALLY, I have never seen a red One & Only.  I have also never seen a One & Only that was NOT a Black Baldy.

Furthermore, the one and only...One & Only...that I have seen was pretty good.  In fact, REALLY good. 

Due to my limited personal knowledge of One & Only, this is likely to be the one and only time that I will ever post about One & Only, or any of his offspring for that matter.

Thank You

Thnaks for your post. I did not think there were many red One And Only calves out there

GoWyo

We bred an old Limo x Angus cow to One & Only and she had a red baldy heifer calf that pretty much looks like a Hereford.  This cow has thrown reds several times before - seems she would throw a red about 50% of the time bred to a hetero black Simmy bull. 

GoWyo

Watching the online sales that last couple of years, good One & Only steers seemed to be few and far between.  Doesn't mean yours won't be good, just that there were probably way more heifers than steers that were sale worthy.

ROMAX

It would seem that a ONE AND ONLY calf marked like a Hereford would be very useful in a breed classification,little thicker,more bone,cleaner fronted Hereford.

hntwhitetail

Genetics 101.

There was a red One & Only on the front page a day or 2 agao that looked the part.