Red Angus Cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dave

My son has a few Red angus cows.  He wants to know what to breed them to get a club calf to show at the county fair.

OH Breeder

There are a couple of Red breeders on here. If you have some cows that are easy calvers you have lots options. Decide also whether you want to use a clean or dirty bull. THC or PHC. What will you do if you get a heifer from this mating.

If color doesn't bother you and carrier status- Double Vision, Heat Seeker, Heat Wave, Who Made Who, Doctor Who
I like the shorthorns crossed with red Angus.

JMO

Post some pictures of your cows. There are lots of folks on here that would certainly be able to give you more info.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The Charolais bull on the good red angus cows are very popular in this area because you get such a pretty cream calf  definitely would have not the odd colors from our black genetics to day .  ALIS , Tinman an Trobadour would be a couple choices to look at an also ORANGE CRUSH  would be almost same color an Heat Wave influence , an there are some Heat Wave son's getting pretty popular .

RSC

Dave said:
My son has a few Red angus cows.  He wants to know what to breed them to get a club calf to show at the county fair.
There are some Maine bulls that would work good also.  Jamie(Freddy) raised  the Reserve Maintainer that Jones Show Cattle from Ohio showed at Junior Nationals about 4-5 years ago that was a Whassup out of a Red Angus cow.

Tony

Showmom

Our daughter won grand champion with her purebred Red Angus steer at the county fair.

RSC

Here's the Wassup Mainetainer out of a Red Angus cow that I was talkin about.

Tony

Attachments

• What About Me.jpg
    What About Me.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 418

Dave

RSC said:

Tony
RSC said:

TonyWow she is nice. What about Cherry Bomb or Johnny Walker Red to keep them red?

RSC

Dave said:
RSC said:

Tony
RSC said:

TonyWow she is nice. What about Cherry Bomb or Johnny Walker Red to keep them red?
Dave, hopefully Cathy(Red) will comment on this as I believe she has had good luck with Cherry Bomb!  You may want
to PM her on thoughts on the good sires to use for Reds.

Tony

TJ

Dave said:

If you want red, I'd consider Houston.  He's got a touch of Charolais in an orangish/red package.  I had a buddy that saw him in Denver & he was extremely impressed.

Yellow Jacket is a yellowish Charolais X that I think would do some real good on the right Red Angus cows.  Because he's yellowish, he should have 2 sets of the red gene, so he could sire red. 

A whole lot depends upon what the cows look like, but I think that I'd go with Houston or Yellow Jacket over JWR or CB if I was breeding Red Angus cows.     

ROAD WARRIOR

I sold two complete flushes on the donor cow that is pictured in my avitar. They flushed her once to Heet Seeker and once to Friction, I haven't seen any calves out of thisese flushes and may not, but they should be hitting the ground by now. RW

TMJ Show Cattle

Freddy said:
The Charolais bull on the good red angus cows are very popular in this area because you get such a pretty cream calf  definitely would have not the odd colors from our black genetics to day .  ALIS , Tinman an Trobadour would be a couple choices to look at an also ORANGE CRUSH  would be almost same color an Heat Wave influence , an there are some Heat Wave son's getting pretty popular .
......Freddy, I'm glad you mentioned TINMAN,we bred a half HEATSEEKER HALF SIMMENTAL to him,but she didn't stick.It was from an early pull of semen and maybe it wasn't any good,not sure. Have you seen his FULL brother that is selling at KEPHARTS Bull Bash? DJS[Dale Steck] of Illinois looks to have one of the best 7/8ths [White] shorthorns that I have seen in a while. By the way, I too really like the Troubador bull that Black and Collins are promoting.Wonder if he'll throw HAIR? Looks to be pretty powerful

ROMAX

What about Heatwaves red brother named Red Brother,or i would go Who Made Who if they are a little plainer with lots of set to the rear legs.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Hey thanks Tony , that red cow I didn't even think of but I thought of another bull I used  on that cow an she was pretty good sized .but we have two daughters of Cunia 602 that used on that cow , they will work an every one tells me that I should keep them as cow's .

Dave

Freddy said:
Hey thanks Tony , that red cow I didn't even think of but I thought of another bull I used  on that cow an she was pretty good sized .but we have two daughters of Cunia 602 that used on that cow , they will work an every one tells me that I should keep them as cow's .
Thanks guys, now we are really confused. lol

SEA

Red Hot.  He is a Heat Seeker son that some like better than Heat Wave.