Red Angus Donor Cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

cattle nut

If I wanted to buy the very best Red Angus cow alive, where would I find her? I am not talking about a pretty good one but I mean a ridiculous good one.

ROAD WARRIOR

Are you asking about the most politically correct, highly promoted, over hyped cow that you can merchandise embrios from the easiest or the best real world donor cow? RW

Show Heifer

A "ridiculous good one" at what  Being stuffed and fluffed at a show? Raising a calf that weans at 65% of her body weight? Staying in? What are your goals?
I bought a ridiculously good one this spring, but she isn't for sale!!  Time will tell if my investment will pay off!

The reds seem to be at a crossroads... some are pushing the show ring and forgetting production, while others are concentrating on production without much thought to eye appeal or popularity.

I try to raise production type of cattle that will do well in the show ring (notice I didn't say WIN in the show ring). I also need them to perform in my management system which isn't always in a barn, under fans, with a full feed pan in front of them.  I like the Six Mile program and have great things to say about their owners. Always willing to answer my questions, always friendly.  SooLine also has that same type of cattle.
I would also consider trying to purchase some of the UBAR embryos that are for sale. That herd dispersed but still has some awesome embryos available (raising your own is very rewarding!!).
Bieber, Cross Diamond has some great cattle that will perform as well as show.

You might also look at Brylors line up of donors. Again, by the embryos and raise your own.

I realize I left out some "noteable names" but I did that on purpose. I am trying to  recommend  good cattle from good people.

Remember, a pretty one doesn't always make the best donor cow, and the ugly one just might throw your next champion.  

knabe

cattle nut said:
If I wanted to buy the very best Red Angus cow alive, where would I find her? I am not talking about a pretty good one but I mean a ridiculous good one.

canada?

afhm

Peiper's (sp), RA Brown, Solution Genetics, Leachman, Nolin Ward are a few places you might check.

cattle nut

I should clarify the question. I am looking for a cow that if if I toured the cowherd in the summer when she had a calf at foot, she would blow me away. Of course I am not talking about an overstuffed show cow that just came of the road. I am looking for a cow that someone has seen in person on grass, not just a herd that has some good ones in it. I want a name of a particular cow.  What cow did you buy SH?

Show Heifer

That clarifies a lot cattle nut!  And that also eliminates a cow herd or two that was metioned in other post (IMO)
Piepers, Biebers would be a good herd to look at.
I have heard from folks that have walked through Six Mile that you will not find any better, more uniform and more correct cattle anywhere. Very strict on culling.
If you are looking for cow families: Dina's, Blackana, Copperqueen, Firefly's and Eleanor's  all have terrific track records for maternal ability and stayability.
Let me think of a specific cow.....
I will give you more info on my small but mighty herd in a PM.

ROAD WARRIOR

knabe said:
cattle nut said:

canada?

I would certainly look there as well! I personally would look for something bred pretty close up to Rambo 502, The Duke and yes Bodacious. My ideal donor is pictured in her working cloths in my avitar - but I like 'em a little bigger than some. RW

cowgirl

I agree with the majority of those cow lines.  I just want to mention one cow that I think is worth your time to at least check out.  If you are looking for ridiculously good-- then there is only one cow name that comes to mind........PAR SELMA MA 373  (830289)  or her mother PAR Selma K1220 (710850).  And the reason is- #1  her EPD's--- BW 0.7  WW 56  YW 119 Milk 33  TM 61!  I challenge anyone to find a cow with better numbers.  She is the number one cow in the breed for YW and has been for 3 years running not to mention being in the top 1% for WW, Milk, and TM, her mother was the #1 cow before her. The second reason is she performed in the show ring as well, she was Grand Champion female at the Texas state Fair at the side of her dam in 2002, I believe.  Now I have never been a huge fan of the show ring, but I saw this cow sell at Denver in I think 2006 for $11,000 then she sold about 6 months later for $21,000 and has since disappeared and she is being flushed somewhere down south.  I doubt she is for sale.  She originated for Peacock Red Angus in Texas, that might be the place to start and find another cow out of that Selma line.