Red Angus in Denver

Help Support Steer Planet:

Red Cow Relocators

Denver was a huge success for us as well as the Red Angus breed. The Reds On Ice sale was very well recieved with a standing room only crowd and offered some of North America's most highly sought after genetics. The Mile High Auction was also well recieved and we were fortunate enough to have assembled a group of breeders to buy a sale topping 1/2 semen interest in two maternal brothers that will make their impact on the breed for years to come. The quality of both the show and sale cattle was absolutely phenominal and the NWSS hosted one of the largest shows on record. It was a pleasure to work with both buyers and sellers in both auctions. RCR

thats funny

I was in Denver with some Red Angus on the hill, and will be the first to admit that the quality of both the bulls and females were outstanding.  We were the middle of the road all day, and we came back fairly happy.  But the way the sale was run was absolutely rediculous.  We were helping a guy out with a sale heifer and the sale took three times as long as it should have taken.  The guy on the block making comments about the cattle said about 4 times as much as he should have, and having frozen lots inbetween the live cattle was  a bad decission, and made the sale drag on.  I saw some of the Red Angus association people leaving the sale before it was even over, as well as some other sale goers leaving real early as well.  I know I wasnt the only person mad about this either.  Another thing, having two judges for the show on the hill made it drag the day out, that sucked sooo bad...and then having to deal with one of the DUMBEST breeds ever, that just makes a persons day...

Red Cow Relocators

The Mile High Sale did take quite a while, but.....the start of the sale was delayed by a fundraiser for the better part of an hour. The fund raiser was called the 21 gun salute and it generated around $24,000 to provide beef for our armed forces. I guess if it cost me an hour of my time at a sale, that is a pretty good trade in comparison to what our troops do for us everday. Yes, people were leaving before the end of the sale, I'm sure that some had other committments and others had already saw the lots that interested them sell. While I didn't manage this sale, I do routinely manage sales that have both live lots and embryo lots as well without any negative impact. A perfect example of this was the Mulberry Mayhem event, where embryos averaged over $1000.00 and live lots averaged over $7,000.00. I doubt that you have spent much time around the Red Angus breed as "the guy on the block" was probably one of the best know individuals on the North American continent in the Red Angus business. I'm sorry that your experience in Denver with the Red Angus breed was not up to your standards but I think the DUMBEST" breed might have been a little harsh.

vcsf

I was not in Denver nor was I able to watch the sale on the internet but I am going to respond to some of thats funny's comments.  I am not the biggest fan of the man that was blockman for this sale nor is his style on the block necessarily my favorite.  However, having said that I do not believe anybody can argue that he is as big of believer in and promote as there is in the Red Angus breed.  He has also managed and worked as blockman at some of the most successful sales the breed has ever had and I believe anyone that is really going to criticize him needs to look at the results he has achieved and they will probably be forced to change their opinions.  With regards to mixing frozen lots in with live lots a lot of the time it is the most logical place to sell them and results in getting the most money for everybody.

woltemathangus

In Denver on any sale you watch, there will always be people that are leaving. Most of the time when semen comes around to selling the seats are empty. Not an uncommon occurrence.

TPX

It was a very good showing for the Canadian's and Canadian genetic's at Denver.  Congrats to all involved.  As far as the block man goes he can get a little long winded but he is like a encyclopedia of Red Angus genetics and breeders.  I personally like him better then most block men that just read the pedigree that is in the catalogue in my hands.