red angus x steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

Snapped some not so great pictures of the red angus x char cross steer we raised, remember he can be showed as a Red Angus steer,
gonna be hard to beat we feel down the road, he is a good one, this cow was champion red angus here in Iowa over 30 times, and res champ red
angus in Kansas City, one of her sons won champ red angus steer 32 times, reserve at Minnesota Beef Expo, Champion Bred and Owned at the Iowa
State Fair.  Good genetics, daddy is our Charloais bull. 

Attachments

• redanguschar.JPG
    redanguschar.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 795
  • redangussteer3.JPG
    redangussteer3.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 238

doubled

Oh I did forget to mention that this cow was bred (we saw it to the charloais) but was also exposed to our Hairy Bear bull-
what do you all think    (WHOS THE DADDY!!!!!!!)

He is built just like the charloais but the color is such a deep red??
guess a blood test would work for sure

Show Heifer

What is the bloodlines on the cow? 
And thanks for clearing up a discussion several of us had a few days ago about if a red angus steer could be sired by a different breed of bull yet out of a red angus cow.

I vote for Hairy Bear bull as the daddy..... most charoais do not have much hair, nor do red angus, so the little fella had to get it somewhere!

Mark H

Charolais don't have much hair?  Where have you been?  Charolais particularly those with Full French breeding have plenty of hair.
Plus you can get Red factor bulls that are dark red that will put plenty of but end on them.  Look at these two bulls:
http://www.charolaisbanner.com/semen/redmist.htm
Also look at this bull available in the U. S.:
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1CH00954&lang=EN
Both these bulls would work very well on Red Angus cows.
I dare say the bull used to get the calf may be a heterozygote red factor.

vcsf

I have seen lots of Charolais X Red Angus cattle that are the color this calf appears to be especially in the first picture.  Also, I have to agree with Mark H. that it is a fallacy that all Charolais lack hair.  Some breeders especially in Canada have put a lot of emphasis on good hair coats as up here it is a commercially relevant trait,  good haired cattle do bring more at the sale barn.  However, part of being good haired commercially also means proper shedding in the spring.  There are also lots of good haired Red Angus cattle.

Torch

That is a nice calf no matter what is its the pedigree. Besides is there really any breeds anymore? Especially when it comes to steers and the show ring.

Show Heifer

Please note the word "MOST" in my sentence of "MOST charolais have no hair"..... I agree certain charolais have hair. Some do, some don't. And I know reds have hair.... I have dealt with some of those!
Just like MOST people would say Limmi's have no hair, yet I have limmis that have plenty of hair.
Exceptions to every rule exsist.
It is funny how regional some traits are. In my area, cattle buyers do not want much hair. In fact, from what I have seen at salebarns, those furry calves are discounted, and "rough coated" cows/bred heifers are discounted also. My uncle runs a large herd of char cows and for the last 5-6 years he has used red angus bulls. MOST of his calves (I am guessing 95%) come out a blondish red, a few are a light red. I am not sure of his bloodlines on either side. This past year, with his 1/2 char and 1/2 red angus cows (blondish red)  bred back red angus, he did get some really red calves, also got some light red blondes. Funny how genetics work.

It is indeed a nice calf...... still would love to know the red angus side of the pedigree or the dams name. She sounds like a heck of a cow.

doubled

Attached are some pictures of mamma and of the steer I mentioned, I might also mention that same dam produced the high point red angus heifer in the state of Iowa
3 years ago- genetics for her a panhandeler and cheifton - good genetics -anyone that wants to see the pedigrees just ask

Attachments

• cyclonesmall.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 464
  • rosiesmall.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 645

Show Heifer

You have a nice red angus there justamom! Good luck with your new project.