Red- bummed out

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Got my PHA/TH tests back.  Ended up w/ 2 PHA carriers & 1 TH carrier.  :'(
At least my WarHorse is not a double carrier as I feared.
Best prospective brood cow heifer did come back clean. Full sib to the red Cherry Bomb so that makes me happy.
Using only clean bulls this year, so that will eliminate some problems next year.

Red

knabe

the heifer i mentioned on how did i get here is out of a paramount son.  no results yet.  my string of genetic luck has to run out.  however it was awesome to figure out that paramount (a son definately) may be a carrier for a copy of each of the tenderness genes, as well as a quality grade marker.  will get her tested at the same time as bangs vac.  would like to see more people report their tenderness data like the angus do. 

and if those carriers come up clean with their calves, you have a source of diversity people will be getting rid of and 20 years from now you can say how lucky you were  to breed them to clean bulls and tell stories how you kept them cuz you liked them enough, and it was only a couple more generations till you were clean.  then through some searching you found a clean bull from some obscure breeder with the same background as you, crossed your cleans with them, and sold them for big bucks, cause the herd is so mongrelized, and you were able to fix your cattle with characteristics you believed in ...................

Telos

Finally Knabe, something I can understand. Makes good sense to me. I'd let other breeders do the foot work with cleaning their cattle up. Then invest in those offspring a couple of years from now with their clean cattle.

DL

Red - sorry about those results - I know you were hoping ....

shortdawg

Red, Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I had one that was THC-PHAF and one that was THF-PHAC - isn't that a deal ?

DL

The good news is that as long as we can leave thegenetic defects in the barn we are winning
The bad news is that it is still a drag - sorry shortdawg...bummer
:(

red

Yep, Shortdawg- life is fun!

Now the farm gets some nice heifers! May keep the Cowboy Cut. She is really looking like a good show heifer & if someone just wants her for that I might sell her. I'll continue working w/ all of them but still bummed out!

Red