RED CALF has a black gene!! Didn't think it was possible, but...

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

FWIW, I didn't know this, but I just found out that the owner called Bovigen after he got the results & he had the tests were run a second time... same result...  A homozygous black bull sired a red colored calf that is E+ ED.

frostback

Are they going to PARENT VERIFY that calf before you get too excited? May be a neighbours bull came knocking that they dont know about.

TJ

frostback said:
Are they going to PARENT VERIFY that calf before you get too excited? May be a neighbours bull came knocking that they dont know about.

Parent Verification has already been done... see page 1 of this thread, about 1/2 way down the page & read my reply to Dori.  ;)  It's been tested twice too.  No neighbors bull & even if it was, it wouldn't matter... this calf got the E+ from the dam & the ED from the bull.  I have nothing to gain from this (unless the guy sells the calf's dna & I get a piece of the action)... I just found this phenomenon very interesting.  I guess the moral of this story is that homozygous black may not always produce black offspring. 

Jill

We had this happen a couple of years ago, on a homozygous black cow  X Heat Wave mating, unfortunantley we didn't have the cow anymore to retest. 

Latest posts