Red the klutz!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

OK, many of you know I'm accident prone. If it can be done, I've done it! Some of my worst falls have been from seizures & blackouts. One other time I needed a bone scan. all was OK but the tech told me my fractured collarbone was healing nicely. I said what fractured collar bone? I think I just about topped myself though the other day.

Late one night I had to get up to go to the bathroom. Must have been disorientated because i trip over something. I fell & hit my chest on the corner of a table. Knocked the wind out of me. Hubby asks "Do you need the light on?" Ugh, urge to kill! I really hurt in my upper chest & couldn't take any deep breathes. My doctor prescribed some Lidoderm patches & between those & Ibuprofen they helped. I took it easy for about a week. Felt all healed up. Then Saturday I was helping the hubby bed down the cows, I had also been leading the calves & of course they were stubborn. My job is to remove the strings from the bales & keep cows in. I had a hard time getting some of the strings off & was tugging. Of course the strings came loose all at once & I fell on my butt.
Well, once again I couldn't take deep breathes, my chest & ribs hurt like the dickens. Nothing helped this time. It was suggested that maybe I cracked a rib, sure enough, that's what I did. Of course nothing can be done w/ a cracked rib, just time & being careful is all you can do. Geesh, what timing!!!

Any other klutzes out there? What has your worse accident or injury happened from working w/ cattle? I remember once a heifer got away & I got tangled in the rope. I was drug & ended up going head over heels. My daughter was running beside the heifer screaming on the top of her lungs which of course drove the heifer to keep on running. I was black & blue all over but thankfully didn't break anything!!!

Red  :)))

txshowlamb

om gosh i hope you will be ok keep strong i think the worst that ever happened to me was when i was trying to help validate some calfs and a girl had no control of hers so when i grabbed his rope he went nuts and dragged me all the way down the aisle and i was sure herting the next day rope burn and all also the first week i had my calf i was halter breaking him i had no gloves on and lets just say my hands were not pretty after he was done with me i still have a scar thats how bad the rope burn was boy did it hert but your seems to hert more my mom was rammed by my lamb last year and she had fractured her ribs and every so often it still herts her so just stick in there AND TAKE IT EASY!!!!

thepoorfarm

I'm there with you...not sure I could name all the stupid things I have done, or weird accidents, but my husband always looks at me twice before I do something, he says" you know how you are"....I haven't had any major damage, I have only broken a couple of fingers, once while weighing a 4-H members steer, I was holding the expensive computer part, steer comes untied so I walk over to pick up his rope, thinking all animals are as quiet as ours...wrong, steer drops his head takes off(of I am on the end of the rope , literally) not wanting to  have him in the road , i don't let go, and not wanting to break the computer, while being drug , I lay the computer down and bounce and drag for several hundred feet ( I was taught never to let go) Couple of broken fingers later we get the steer weighed. I guess I should have taken my wedding rings off sooner as I had to cut them off with Tin snips later that night. My most recent dumb thing was throwing a shovel in the back of the truck ,it hitting the wheel well and bouncing back and hitting me in the nose, knocking me out and to the ground. Nothing like that to make you feel like an idiot. Grace I am not.If someone is going to trip, get kicked it will be me...... ;)

red

we used to say our daughter would trip over walnuts!

I also smashed my wedding band by hitting it againist the hay feeder. Needed a nephew to remove it w/ vise grips.
Another smooth move I did was run into the tractor's hay forks on the loader. Luckily for me they weren't sharp. That also knocked me flat on my back & must have actually knocked me out cold. I went into the house all double over. The hubby now parks the tractor w/ the forks into the ground.  :)))

Red

farmboy

ill just go down thr list by pain

1. stacking chutes, had a big steel one, the jackA** on the other end drops his end causing me to drop my end and my finger was in between 2 steel chutes and blood squirted from the end of my finger, it was like a flat tire for a week. I think the people clear at the end of the barn ( our county fair barn is huge) heard the "obsceneties" lol

2. was bringing a steer back from rinsing him and he bolted, i had an extremely short halter on him and its hard to keep up on that, i took a big nose dive into large gravel and didnt let go, so he dug me through some more gravel and proceeded to kick me in the ear.

3. had a cow horse kick me (like a buck, but its a kick with both back legs) and get me right on my knee caps, buckled right there in the middle of the barn.

Show Dad

In college I had been typing a term paper till the early morning of the next day. Must have forgot that I put the old portable typewriter on the floor in the hallway. Got up to use the bathroom and in the dark rammed my foot into this 150 pound paperweight. Had my roommate take me to the ER. They gave me pain pills but I did get a date with a nurse out of it!
<alien>

red

SD said:
In college I had been typing a term paper till the early morning of the next day. Must have forgot that I put the old portable typewriter on the floor in the hallway. Got up to use the bathroom and in the dark rammed my foot into this 150 pound paperweight. Had my roommate take me to the ER. They gave me pain pills but I did get a date with a nurse out of it!
<alien>

An alien on pain pills! That is a frightening thought!!!  <alien> <party>

Red

Rocky Hill Simmental

Last winter once when my dad and I were rolling roundbales out to the cows (because our tractor is really old with no lift and doesn't work half the time) I somehow got one of the strings caught around my leg. I got my leg sliced pretty bad but luckily the bale didn't start rolling yet.

Then there's those old haybale strings that ever rot and get stuck in the ground. A couple months ago, I was feeding my show heifers and they were rushing behind me and pushing me as usual. Then all of a sudden, I had one of those dang strings around my foot causing me to trip and fall over onto some rocks that cut my legs. My heifers just stopped and stood there and stared at me.

Then my heifer, Nicky.. her favorite sport is trying to kick me. She doesn't kick me because she's spooked; she kicks me because she thinks its fun. She kicks me in the legs, in the arms, and one in the head. One day I was carrying a bucket and she ran up and kicked at it and all the feed went flying. She's not like other cows who just kick when you walk past. She actually goes out of her way to kick at me.. not hard luckily.

red

I think Common Sense did a good one today. she got kicked in the hand & it sliced open clear to the bone. Makes me shudder just to think about.
I might have to pass the crown to her!!!! 

Red

minimoo38

thepoorfarm said:
. My most recent dumb thing was throwing a shovel in the back of the truck ,it hitting the wheel well and bouncing back and hitting me in the nose, knocking me out and to the ground. Nothing like that to make you feel like an idiot.

that had to be a one in a million shot.  ;D  (thumbsup)

when I was in school we had my show heifers in the barn and the only was to get them out was to walk out in the pastern (not a good idea when wet) so my dad gets this bright idea to cut some the steel suckerrod out and leave the 3 inch pipe at the top. well I went out to feed and he told me don't forget the pipe.  guess what I walked right in to it and hit my nose :'(, so I go in to let him look at it I was fine but felt like if was broke. Then I go back out to finish feeding and hit it again :'(. I don't know how i didn't break my nose but I didn't. Needless to say the pipe got painted bright green. He still laughs about it today.

Davis Shorthorns

the best one that I know of didn't happen to me thank goodness, but it was a buddy of mine.  He was working at the sale barn and went in to move some stubborn cows and one kicked him right in the face.  The next day he came to school with a perfect bruise in the shape of a hoof right around his nose he was so lucky it would have shattered his nose if it had hit just a fraction of a inch either way.

Show Dad

red said:
SD said:
<alien>

An alien on pain pills! That is a frightening thought!!!  <alien> <party>

Red
I was the life form of the party! 8)
<alien>

inthebarnagain

My brilliant move was about two weeks ago.  My daughter still cannot ride a 2 wheel bicycle and we were all goofing off so I decided I would get on the bike and pedal and she could ride the seat to see how it feels.  We made a couple of laps around the driveway with everyone just laughing themselves to death, one person was videoing it on her phone. 

After two laps I was winded and decided it was time to stop.  So I did, my daughter got off and I went to get off of the bike.  Then my leg hit the seat and since I was already leaning and had momentum, down I went like a ton of bricks in the driveway.  Luckily I had jeans on so my knee wasn't skinned too bad, my elbow had a good case of road rash and the foot that was on top of the bike hit just above the ankle bone and I believe severed the nerve because I can't feel anything.  It is still swollen as can be and black and blue but if it is really hurt I couldn't tell you, I don't feel a thing!!

knabe

i was working with a guy installing pallet racks.  he flicked a safety for one of the shelves with a screw driver, it slipped, it went in his nose and out the front of his face (kinda like that pic i posted with the guys finger going out his nose telos liked so much).  blood absolutely everywhere.  another time a guy was driving a motorized pallet jack, came over the crest into the warehouse, highpointed himself, the pallet jack swiveled and crushed him between the pallet jack and a rack.  he escaped unscathed.  another time a guy went through a door way with the fork lift forks up.  he made a bigger door.  lots of others in warehousing.

oakbar

I agree---KNABE on pain killers is a scary thought.  I wonder what his vocabulary was like in that condition!  I'll bet I could have spent a couple of weeks with a dictionary just trying to understand what was said.  How did the date turn out??

I'll tell you how smart I am.  I was pounding in a steel post with a new post driver(the tubular kind you slip over the post) and didn't realize the driver was shorter in length than I was used to.  As I was really getting in some good licks, the driver came off the post, caught on the far side of the Tpost and hit me right on top of the noggin.  I ended up on my knees wondering what the heck hit me.    Not a serious as my "round bale off the loader" accident but darn sure embarrassing just the same.  It really left a big dent in the driver from my hard head, too!!!

I guess maybe I should spend more time figuring out KNABE's words and less time fencing and moving bales.

DCC_Cattle

One time at the county fair it was extremely hot and there was a feeder calf that someone had and they never took care of it and just let it go the whole time. The poor thing was laying in slop, no fan, and was lucky to get watered once a day. So one night my cousin and I decided we would get the calf out and spray it off because it was panting and we wanted to cool it down. Everything went fine until I was leading it back into the barn and it took off. I held on and got drug a little ways through some gravel and mud and the calf ended up on the midway. After that I think I learned my lesson not to mess with other people's animals....even though I was just trying to help the poor thing. (lol)

farmboy

reminds me of when i was watering my calves and my buds feeder headbutted me when i was bent over and i fell on my face with a bunch of little feeder calves around... little devil had a-little-bit-bigger than buds, but they hurt on the caboose  :mad:  ;D