Red's (Cathy) Scholarship

Help Support Steer Planet:

jason

A lot of talk last year, but we really need to get this done.  I think the best way to get this rolling would to setup a committee.  So if you have any ideas or would be interested in being a part of it, post in this thread. 

ROAD WARRIOR

I think this is a great idea! Form a "board" and work out the details ie - how is it funded, what are the qualifications, who is eligible, etc.  (clapping) (angel)RW

LT

I would be more than happy to help in anyway I could.  I could talk to the Foundation that funds our scholarship program for you.  We could set up the program any way the group wanted.  We could come up with some suggestions and then start fund through a foundation so that our small money is added to large monies, as far as earnings, and we wouldn't have to set up our own non profit with a number and all the paperwork.  Then as we came up with perimeters for the scholarship applicatnts we could post the proposals for the format to the steer planet members to vote on.  Does that sound like it would work?

AAOK

I agree with all above, and specifically that we form a Foundation, or make the scholarship available only to a specified institution and run our scholarship through their Foundation.  Here is a link to my Rotary Club's application:    http://www.adarotary.org/files/ScholarshipApplication.pdf  It could easily be modified to suit our wishes/goals.  I'll be happy to help any way I can.

If we set up our own Foundation, the foundation would need to be an LLC 501(C)(3). Directors would all be required to sign.

OH Breeder

Just a thought. I know the Maine Association gives out scholarships every year. Cathy loved her Maine cattle. She took pride in having Maine's. A one time donation could be given to the Maine association for a scholarship in Cathy's name.. Just a thought.

shortdawg

OH Breeder said:
Just a thought. I know the Maine Association gives out scholarships every year. Cathy loved her Maine cattle. She took pride in having Maine's. A one time donation could be given to the Maine association for a scholarship in Cathy's name.. Just a thought.

Good idea

jason

OH Breeder said:

That is a good idea.  We could have a little fund-raising drive on here and donate the proceeds in a scholarship in her name.  We would just need 1 main person than in charge of holding the funds and setting up a paypal account to take the donations.

LT

Great Idea!  I bet if the group decided on the specifics on the youth eligible, the Maine assoc would honor that. 

jasper

maybe some requirements...

proof of application/ acceptance to college.
grade requirement none
must be some type of ag related studies

minimum of 3 years good standing  in FFA or 4H- with confirmation recepit from Advisor or ext office
Im guessing if you run it thru the Maine assoc- the  student has to be a member of the Junior Maine assoc? or no?

We had a scholarship that was given out last year-( memorial one at that) kid got the check and then didnt go to school, cashed the check and ???
He was a member of  ffa for 1 year.

AAOK

OH Breeder said:

I like this idea.  The Iowa Maine-Anjou Association offers the Iowa National Scholarship.  It is tagged onto the AMAA Jr scholarship.  I'll bet SteerPlanet could do the same.

http://www.maine-anjou.org/junior/pdf/mar20/ScholarshipNew.pdf

jason

I think having a scholarship setup through the Maine Association would probably be the best way.  Does anyone know someone there.

Also we need to raise the money.  A couple options:

1.  Setup a donate link button on here to people can paypal or send a check
2.  Have a benefit auction on here, people can donate items and then we can have people bid on them with all proceeds going to the scholarship.

What is a realistic goal?

LT

Jason,
I have contacted the Maine Assoc to see if this is a possiblity with them and what requirements we would have as far as a commitment to honor it each year or if they would do a one time thing.  Also I think we could do both, a paypal donation and a silent auction.  I can start it with a donation of 10 laser cut Medium Ear Tags with buyer choice of inscription and y tek backs included.  Value 55.00  Donated by Ear Tags By Design/Cook Show Cattle.  I am also checking with Janey from Select Genetics, they did a thing similar to this a year ago for a family to see what input they can give us. 

Linda Cook

kanshow

Jason,  I like both ideas. 

Should we set a dollar amount goal?  What is a realistic goal that could be self-supporting?    What kind of time frame are we looking at? 

AAOK

Count me in!  I have a long time friend who is CEO of our local College Foundation.  My High School class is in the process of starting a scholarship through this foundation.  She told me last week the minimum amount to have a sustaining scholarship is $10,000, but she recommends $15,000, just to be on the safe side.  The total sustaining funds DO NOT have to be deposited up front.  As she related, if our class has 3 people who pledge to give $1000 for five years, we are good.  She pulled our her checkbook and started our fund with such a pledge.

Do you want me to check with John Boddicker at the AMAA and see if we could somehow tie into their scholarship?  I don't have any idea if they have a foundation, or if they just budget their scholarship.

ROAD WARRIOR

This has kind of fallen off the radar. With all of the high school graduations happening now, we need to get this off the ground and up and running. Let's kick it in the pants and go! RW

LT

AAOk and others.  I emailed the Maine Assoc and John emailed back he is calling me tomorrow Friday to discuss what they suggest.  He said they thought they would be on board to do this.  I know everyone will want to be involved and we should get it going, but in all fairness to do it right, we might find that it would start in 2011.  That way the money raised could draw some interest and we could start to find out what we have to work with first...not only that we could top it off at the Ohio Beef Expo maybe somehow through the Frozen Gold Sale since Red's last cattle moments were spent there!

Just an idea

kanshow

That would actually give some time to get the thing going and some money raised.  I was even wondering if we needed to wait until 2012 just so we have a decent amount to work with. 

LT

Jason and all,
Spoke with John at the AMAA.  They are ready to get on board with us.  He was MOST helpful and wants us all to consider some things...
Date to start at least 2011
Name of scholarship-cks can be made to that fund and they can be mailed to AMAA and they would set up a seperate acct at the Platte City Bank where they have their accts and the Foundation money they have set aside for their scholarships. 
They give 2 1000.00 scholarships a year, we  could do that or 250 or 500.  The application may have to be reworked if less than 1000
Their applications are sent out with the National Junior Rules and are due May 1 of each year. 
We need to decide do we just operate off of interest each year, have a fund raiser each year or have confirmed donors to cover our scholarship each year...we need to make sure we cover it before we promise it
The AMAA are willing to receive the donations, (made out to the fund) report funds to whoever is the contact person or persons, send out eblast to advertise and write it up in the Voice and advertise it that way.  This would be a huge help!

See what you think and we can go from there.  I told John we were in the beginning stages and we would be in touch.

Thank you John for your support of the youth and honoring Red!!!!