Regional foods

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I mentioned this in an earlier thread. One of my favorite dishes I usually only see in KY is a Hot Brown sandwhich. It's made w/ toast, sliced turkey breat, tomatoes & backon. There is a cream sauce that goes over it.

Also never understood grits. Seems like you get them w/ every breakfast in the south.

Not picking on southern cooking!

Red

kanshow

When the Fema truck rolls into town, it's usually loaded with Grits & canned hominy.  They give you a case of each - not just an individual can or box.   

red

Ohio has Cincinnati chili. It's made of hamburger that's not browned but cooks in the pot. Also there is a touch of cinnamon in it. Can be serve w/ beans, onions, spaghetti, cheese & even mustard. Can be served alone or on a chili dog. Always comes w/ oyster crackers.

Red

Davis Shorthorns

my girlfriend is from the south and she is all about grits.  I told her that they would be good with brown sugar and she almost killed me!!!  Cheese ONLY!!!  Around here my dad puts syrup on his cottage cheese.  I put mustard on my onion rings.  Dont know if any of those are regional but I like mine.

LinZ

Welll... I'm from south alabama and grits in the morning? Always.. with cheesssseeeeeeee. I Love southern cooking probably because my mom is one of the best.. Collard Greens, Turnips... everything with bacon.. or everything fried..or sometimes both. The weirdest thing I've seen someone eat was potted meat on a honey bun...that was just nasty.

kanshow

Oh my grandma used to make Spinach in bacon grease with cream.    That was tasty tasty..  but probably cholestral on a plate!!!

HSV

If you ever get a chance to go to a traditional Brazillian Charrusco style barbecue you are in for quite a treat. I have eaten in many of them in Brazil and only two in North America (they are kind of rare), the Red Violin in Toronto (Mechanic ate there with us) and the brasa Brazillian Steak House in Raleigh North Carolina. They have traditional servers that come to your table with about 12 different kinds of meat. They cut you off pieces from a skewer right onto your plate. They give you a card that is green on one side and red on the other. When you can't take it any more you cry "Uncle" by turning over the red side. The food isn't spicy and is a great change. A perfect choice for those with big appetites!!

itk

How about tea and sweet tea. Go south of the Mason Dixion and you better make sure you specify what you want if you are lucky enough to find plain tea. Sorry shortdawg but sweet tea is for sure an acquired taste. We also had some people down from Minnesota a few years ago who had never heard of biscuts and gravy. I about fell over dead since it is my breakfast of choice.

farmboy

never heard of biscuits and... NEVER HEARD OF BISCUITS AND GRAVY?!? thats un american lol

<hero>

btw what did they call it then?? gravy with biscuits?

farmerboy317

a couple of my friends put mustard of there scrambled eggs and sausage and they put peanutbutter on there pancakes, i think both are grouse

farmerboy317

man have you guys miss out if you haven't had biscuits and gravy up here in Michigan everybody i know likes them and there are my favorite choice of breakfast

shortdawg

One of my favorites here is fresh boiled peanuts. Man, just the smell of them cooking is about as good as it gets. I love to try out the local food whenever I go somewhere new. One of my favorites is the Horseshoe of IL. I've even had a little Chislet, Pheasant Stew, and Buffalo Chili & steaks from SD. That Nawlins Gumbo is pretty hard to beat too.

OH Breeder

HSV (Horseshoe Valley Shorthorns) said:
If you ever get a chance to go to a traditional Brazillian Charrusco style barbecue you are in for quite a treat. I have eaten in many of them in Brazil and only two in North America (they are kind of rare), the Red Violin in Toronto (Mechanic ate there with us) and the brasa Brazillian Steak House in Raleigh North Carolina. They have traditional servers that come to your table with about 12 different kinds of meat. They cut you off pieces from a skewer right onto your plate. They give you a card that is green on one side and red on the other. When you can't take it any more you cry "Uncle" by turning over the red side. The food isn't spicy and is a great change. A perfect choice for those with big appetites!!

Chicago and Miami both have Texas De Brazil which are authentic grills as you describe. WONDERFUL meats. The goucho's bring all kinds. They also have a killer salad bar that might be the american twist. Breads and stuff for days.

Telos

As for eggs and other foods... it's all about putting on salsa, pico de gallo and even black beans with many who live in the Southwest .

I live close to a Texas De Brazil in Dallas and their food is always great. I agree OH Breeder, the salad bar is one of the best. The only problem is that my appetite is never as big as my eyes when I go there.

Hamburgers are far more popular then hot dogs in this region of the country.

6M Ranch

HSV (Horseshoe Valley Shorthorns) said:

If you come to the National Western, there's a place called Rodizio Grill.  Exactly like what you are describing.

ratmama2

MMMMMM Fried green tomatoes are my food of choice. I grew up in Northern PA and we had them all summer. Moved to MD and they have never heard of them. Then we went to Hereford Jr Nationals in Mississippi a couple of years ago and I had them with every meal. I am the only one in the house that eats them( the others are MD born) and as long as I have them I will eat them almost every night.

justme

Vinegar on my frenchfries at the fair YUM!!!!! my favorite.  People here in Missouri think I'm nuts and won't even try it.

Here in NW MO, hot beef sandwiches are the mainstay of any good country cafe, and hand breaded tenderloins.  These tenderloins are fresh, thick and delicous....in Ohio ours were so thin and smashed to make them large...thought they were great until I came to Missouri.

When I lived in KY, every meal had pinto beans....ugh I don't care to ever have another pinto bean in this lifetime!