Registered Chi

Help Support Steer Planet:

MooMooLover

Our county fair weigh-in was this past Saturday and we have to say whether they are a breed steer or not. We have a registered chi steer we raised and one of the beef committee members asked if it was 100% chi and who the bull was. This is just for our county. We are in Ohio, and the Best program and our state fair only require ACA minimum. How many chi's are out there are 15/16 purebred?

Nasc

Not too many full bloods left in the states.

chianina-web-1.jpg

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/chianina/

MooMooLover

That's what I thought.  Of course this guy also thinks there are 3 ways to register a shorthorn.  Purebred, Plus and Appendix...

Nasc

Will you be allowed to show the calf as a Chi at the county level?

MooMooLover

We don't know yet. We have the only one and it should go in an AOB class. If not we'll just show him as a cross. I don't know why it even matters, we aren't even required to show the papers because you can just say they are a breed and they take your word for it. They don't think it's fair to everyone because an animal with papers costs more or something like that. It's just the typical county fair crap because we usually do well at our fair. So whatever. i just wondered if anyone else had ever heard of that these days.

Cattledog

JRD Show Cattle said:
That's what I thought.  Of course this guy also thinks there are 3 ways to register a shorthorn.  Purebred, Plus and Appendix...

Sounds like your guy went to the same county fair school as my county fair guys.  (lol)  The only reason why we go to our county fair is because my cousin begs and pleads every year.  He puts in the work...... so I give in.

Cattledog

JRD Show Cattle said:
We don't know yet. We have the only one and it should go in an AOB class. If not we'll just show him as a cross. I don't know why it even matters, we aren't even required to show the papers because you can just say they are a breed and they take your word for it. They don't think it's fair to everyone because an animal with papers costs more or something like that. It's just the typical county fair crap because we usually do well at our fair. So whatever. i just wondered if anyone else had ever heard of that these days.

At our fair if you have papers and there aren't enough to represent the breed they are put into the AOB division. 

vc

We have 2 Divisions, so you never have to deal with the breed thing, Black and white used to be able to go in either depending on the percentage of white, they changed that to stop the changing of classes after people where looking at the classes and trying to figure where they would do the best with their calf.

1 Red and Non-Black. All Breeds and Crossbred
2 Black, Black & White. All Breeds and Crossbred

We have anywhere from 75 to 100 head a year.

kobo_ranch

At our county we don't have to have papers on the steers.  But on the heifers we do.  Our heifer is a registered Chimaine and have had a couple county guys question that.  I know that the Chi Assn is the most lax in the requirements on registering but regardless if you have papers that should be enough.  If you can show at a major (even if AOB) then the counties should go with those rules.  Need to have guys on the boards at the county levels that are familiar and keep up with the rules at the majors.  Most of ours do but guess you'll always have one or two that 'think' they know the rules.