Replacement fence charger

Help Support Steer Planet:

LazyGLowlines

Can anyone recommend a good 110v fence charger? I have a old one that still works and has a audible feature that you can tell if it is working or is shorted out. I have bought 2 new ones that make no noise and you can't tell if they are working, as a matter of fact one stopped working and the cows have trashed the electric fence! The old one still works but the way my pastures are layed out I need more than one.

LazyGLowlines

has anyone used one of those hand held digital meters that tells which way the short is?

DL

I have a Gallagher MBX 2500 - it is a great fencer with a power up feature, noise when there is insufficient power, and a hand held gizmo that lets you turn the fence off remotely. This fencer can power up and keep a good jolt unless there is wire on wire - I love this fencer. You can tell by looking at it how much power is being lost to shorting out and you can get a sense if it is wet grass, tree down, wire on wire etc

Also have a gizmo that tells me which way the short is - very handy for deer trashing fence, trees on fence etc - can't remember who makes it (got it from Kenco I think) - wouldn't be without it

knabe

DL said:
I have a Gallagher MBX 2500 - it is a great fencer with a power up feature, noise when there is insufficient power, and a hand held gizmo that lets you turn the fence off remotely. This fencer can power up and keep a good jolt unless there is wire on wire - I love this fencer. You can tell by looking at it how much power is being lost to shorting out and you can get a sense if it is wet grass, tree down, wire on wire etc

Also have a gizmo that tells me which way the short is - very handy for deer trashing fence, trees on fence etc - can't remember who makes it (got it from Kenco I think) - wouldn't be without it

you can tell from the sound one's if you have a short.  they don't tell which direction other than away from the charger.  for that, i located some loops so i don't have to walk as far and just test at a few places to see where the drop is.  the best thing DL mentioned above is the remote, though test it before you grab it!

LazyGLowlines

you can tell from the sound one's if you have a short.  they don't tell which direction other than away from the charger.  for that, i located some loops so i don't have to walk as far and just test at a few places to see where the drop is.  the best thing DL mentioned above is the remote, though test it before you grab it!
[/quote]
That's why I like the units with sound, unfortunately they don't seem to make them anymore. I also have handles located so I can isolate sections at a time. But it still takes two people, one by the charger and one walking the fence line and disconnecting sections, while yelling back to the other person. I also have a cheap tester that shows the voltage by lighting up with the amount of voltage, up to 6,000-7,000 volts, but it is next to impossible to see any time of day! I end up trying to shield the lights so I can see them and I have been bit a few times when I wasn't careful!

SWMO

Tru-Test sells several great ones depending on the power and features that you want.  Also has the remote shut off.  They also sell a fence tester that is directional.