Replacement making Simmi bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

RankeCattleCo

Looking for suggestions of a Simmi bull to use on some commercial angus cows to make some feminine replacement commercial/recips cows. Doesn't have to be a purebred but take note we are not looking for show ring genetics here and we won't be registering these calves. Commercial angus we will be using him on are all larger cows weighing 1500+ in medium flesh. Definitely wouldn't be opposed to a bull known to throw baldies. As these are commercial cows with the intention of making replacements so we don't want to spend more than $30-40 a straw on semen. Thanks for your thoughts.

showsteerdlux

If you dont mind a 3/4 bull, I think Primary Candidate will have a place in making solid commercial replacements that can work in both worlds.

The calf we had born this spring will be kept as a cleanup bull for the sole purpose of creating replacement females.

Mark H

I want a bull that will give you good replacement heifers and growthy steers. So growth counts here.  Bouchard livestock has a couple of  bulls called value added bulls where if you buy more than 30 units it is $ 20.00 a unit. Since they are cows I would be looking at MLC Mr Justice W744 or TNT Top cut both have great EPDs.  They are on page 31 of the Bouchard Livestock catalog: http://www.bouchardlivestock.com/semen_beef.php  They have semen good for the US and Canada.  If it is extreme calving ese you need look at the OLF Otis bull.
A few questions:
Id a red or Fleckvieh bull OK?
How important is calving ease?

RankeCattleCo

Should of clarified a few more things in my original post,,
Not interested in any reds as we market calves commercially so don't want that dock.  Not opposed to using sexed semen and then keeping the top 50-60% of heifers and feeding the rest out. Something I left out is we want a bull who can milk, as we will likely use these as club calf recips with a clean up bull behind them. Calving ease isn't necessarily needed as they are all 3+ year old cows but with looking to use these as recips on some terminal embryos it surely wouldn't hurt.

Anyone have any thoughts on uno mas and how he works in commercial settings? Just one that came to the top of my head. I know sexed semen on him only runs $50 a unit.

Additionally we would like to stick with bulls available through major distributors so we don't have to pay to ship it here.

Lucky_P

Strictly commercial here, using mostly Simmental sires over Angus, SimAngus and ANxShorthorn cows... breeding for performance, maternal traits, and carcass/tenderness....
I'll throw these out, since most of the folks I see posting on here are showring/clubby folks... and I'm not breeding for hair, freaky neck extension, etc...

Hooks Shear Force 38K(hetero black)
Triple C Singletary S3H (wish I'd bought more semen before Genex dumped him)
Long's Shear Pleasure
GW Lucky Man 644N(spot carrier)
All the above have produced fabulous commercial cows for us, out of Angus and SimAngus cows.
Dikeman's Sure Bet (ABS) was hit or miss, but moderated size and ABS now lists him as a 'maternal legend'... I like the daughters we kept, and if we weren't pushing for blaze faces, I'd use him again. 

PRS Blazin' Hot W192 and SVF Allegiance Y802(Genex) daughters coming on now are really fancy, with good blaze/white faces and some chrome... will be breeding the first Blazin Hots this fall... looking forward to seeing how they do, but a little concerned about milk on the BHs, since his milk epd is so low.  The Allegiance calves - steers & heifers alike - are fabulous... great docility, good growth, and the heifers are THICK.

If you're not opposed to a red or hetero-black, WS All In W111 made some really good steers and one really nice heifer here, and Long's Damien combines Shear Force and Lucky Man... should make nice cows that bring good carcass and tenderness genetics to the table.

ASR Longevity (ABS) is getting the call for use on our best blaze/white-faced cows this fall and next spring.
https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/beef/bull/detail/2180990/breed/14/proof/6/country/222

timmy

Sheep- We raised/own a SimmAngus bull. He's a 5/8 simm, 3/8 angus, no clubby breeding. Black baldy, DNA'd
homo black, homo polled, big, stout. I love his first calf crop. Have high quality semen, frozen at Nichols, we'rin eastern iowa. Calves are stout, thick. Quiet. Semen delivery no problem. Actually showed him twice. Res Grd at state fair, Div ch at KC. $25/straw, out of a great mama cow. He's gonna be a cowmaker.

RankeCattleCo

Thanks for the reply Lucky P- like the looks of Allegiance and Longevity, I had thought of using Upgrade but the limited amount I have seen out of him have been pretty stout and not very feminine looking,which  I guess isn't the worst trait if you're about putting pounds on calves which we definitely are. Will likely go with one of those two, basically whichever one is more readily available this spring. Thanks!

jd438

I have always liked the In Dew Time females that we have around.  We have had very few issues with those cows, they breed back, keep their condition, and have very nice udders.  They aren't high growth animals, but they aren't bad either.  We have sold bulls and heifers out of those cows.  I haven't done the angus cross on them though. 

Mark H

It looks like you have narrowed down what you wan to use.  The only other bull I could suggest from genex is TNT Tanker.  some of the blaze faced bulls definately are worth looking at. 
Uno mas is a heifer bull and as such you will leave some performance on the table relative to most of the bulls given here.
Perhaps you could use more than one bull and taylor the mattings somewhat.

RankeCattleCo

We only have about 15 cows to use on this spring so we'll likely just stick with one sire. Any other thoughts on Uno Mas? Was thinking of using him on a 734/angus x Whiskey chromed up heifer and a No Worries x TR Firewater heifer- will be breeding these 2 heifers for steers in the future and want to retain one heifer at least out of each. Kind of figure I might as well make it the first calf as a calving ease bred steer sired by a Simmi or angus isn't worth much.

CJB

I've got to recommend 3C Macho for this scenario.  Works great on commercial Angus females to make replacements. 

firesweepranch

I agree with Macho, and better yet Fat Butt (aka Cut Above). We love our Macho and FB females in production!

ccrider

A bull that will work really well and give you the option to register, make awesome females, and steers that are marketable.  SC Pay Back C19, he is a full sib to Pays to Believe.  Semen can be bought through SEK Genetics or myself.  His calves come easy and have lots of vigor. 

Attachments

• 16003293_402508880093735_4616865150776435251_n.jpg
    16003293_402508880093735_4616865150776435251_n.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 516