Request from the Maine historians

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Daines Farms
Cows - what where they like or known for.
733C #303163 anything in perticular about her?

Telos

That cow is the mother of Daines Harry Crumb which was a Power Plant son. Her paternal sire was a Galloway and the maternal grand mother was a Smithbuilt cow that  Daines' really liked. Daines also used Cunia and Smithbuilt on her, if I remember correctly.

OH Breeder

Telos,
Do we have to worry about the Galloway influence and any defects? I wondered what was missing on the dam side. Okay. Is the Daines operation still going? It sounds like she was pretty prolific.

Jill

It was Daines Maines from Innisfail, AB, I don't know if they are still in business or not, they also owned a sale barn up there.

Telos

Yes, Daines is still in business, although I do not know how big. On their registry it shows the last two bulls sold went to Poplar Haven. They are really good cow people and know their Maine genetics and what a good cow is.

I consider Daines as one of the first pioneers of Clubby genetics. It appeared in the late 90's and early 2000 that was one of the directions their operation went. They had some of the great cows in the breed and if I were to guess probably still do.

OB, I never saw or heard much about Harry Crumb offspring even though he was used pretty heavily. In this business you never know what is going on, but my motto if you do not see offspring selling then it is time to investigate and proceed with caution.

itk

MCF had a bull out of her and Warhorse named Survivor. We used him on a few cows with moderate success. The thing I remember the most about him though is when they had him on diplay in Denver they gave away free margaritas one day. That was a good day.

knabe

there's a bull out of that cow named scooby doo, who has disappeared from their website (rosanky) by smithbuilt by this cow.  semen was never available to the public for this bull

http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=281527

DL

OH Breeder said:
Telos,
Do we have to worry about the Galloway influence and any defects? I wondered what was missing on the dam side. Okay. Is the Daines operation still going? It sounds like she was pretty prolific.

Closing the Canadian border really put a damper on the influx of Canadian Maines and their influence into the US - while it was closed the CMAA worked hard to find other markets so we may never be blessed with Canadian genetics as we were before. Daines had some really good cattle.

The Galloway breed in Europe had TH before it appeared in the Shorthorns here and in Canada - they used test breeding and 90 day C-sections to identify carriers and eliminate them from breeding stock such that it is basically a non issue in the Galloways. We don't know if the Shorthorn and Galloway TH defects are the same as there are no samples from the Galloways available. I can send you the Galloway TH article. I don't know if Hairy Crumb was tested or not - he made a bit of a splash with a bit of hype and sort of disappeared...