Reusing CIDRs

Help Support Steer Planet:

bhcattle

what's your thoughts/success on reusing CIDRs?   I'd hate to put all the money into the cost of meds and putting embryo's or AIing them and then get nothing to stick...

xxcc

reuse them only once.  when you take them out of the cow the first time, clean them in a bucket of Nolvasan solution, lay them out on paper towels to dry in a relatively cool, place out of sunlight., after cleaning them, crimp the ends with a pair of pliers so you know they have been used once.  when you take them out the second time, throw them away. (that is unless you got ones out of Canada, those, you used to be able to use 4 times)

kanshow

we reuse once like xxcc says.  However, we use a new one whenever we put one in a donor for a flush. 

shorties

You can resuse them but they say you are not suppose to use them on heifers if its the second time.  So use them on heifers first them put them into cows.

Bulldaddy

We soak them in warm water, rinse them off, let dry, then place in dated zip lock bags and store in the refrigerator.  We only reuse them once and get good results.  That is a protocol that our Genex rep recommended a few years ago.

xxcc

nolvasan is a disinfectant that keeps from spreading anything you don't want spread...stuff that just warm water may not eradicate.

Bulldaddy

Was told not to use anything stronger than water--no soap or disinfectant.  That's why they go in the fridge.  Just what my Genex rep suggested.  Would the nolvasan degrade the hormone in the CIDR? 

BigT

I have always reused CIDRS with good results, including on heifers.  When I pull them, I rinse them quickly, dip them in iodine and water, and dry them. The hormone on them I am assuming is water soluble, so the shorter the time they are wet, the better you will be.  My best heifer project ever was with recycled CIDRS, and we got almost 65% bred on the 7 day protocol.  I like the crimping idea to identify once used ones.

justintime

MY ET vets use a  mild disenfectant on CIDRS. I always use a new CIDR in donors or in heifers. I am not sure why, but I have had some issues with using used CIDRs in heifers, so I have quit doing it. I know at the U of S Vet college they through used CIDRs in the washing machine, and then let them air dry and they store them in a dark cool place in zip lock bags. I have always been afraid to do this, as I am afraid that too long in the washing machine would ruin them. I wash them in a mild disenfectant, let them air dry and put them in zip lock bags and store them in a cupboard in the office of the feedlot. I haven't had any issues with using them a second time in recips and cows.

I am not sure if CIDRS in Canada still contain more hormones than those in the US, but I used CIDRs a third time on a set of later calving cows to see if I could bring them back to calving earlier in the calving season. I used 10 cows that were calving in May, and I put the CIDRs in, and all the cows had excellent heats. They were AI bred, and all but one of them calved the next spring in March. The other one came in open.  CIDRs in Canada cost more than in the US so it could be they still have more product in them. Normally, I use them twice and then discard them.

I have heard so many proper ways of handling CIDRs and storing them, that I am not sure if any are better or if they all are OK

Bulldaddy

It sure looks like there is more than one way to skin a cat.  I think I will try cleaning them with nolvasan as suggested by xxcc.  I know my wife will be glad to get them out of the refrigerator! 

Show Heifer

Getting cows into a lot to sync them: 1 hour
Running cows through chute to sync them: 1 hour
Heat detecting cows 4 times a day, 1 hour each session: 4 hours
Getting no results because I wanted to save $9 per cow: Priceless
Ordering semen on sync'd group of cows: $30 per cow
AI'ing cows on false or weak heats because I wanted to save $9 per cow: Maybe not such a good idea.

I guess the way I figure it, if I can afford go to all the money and trouble of getting a group of cows in, buying semen, AI'ing etc. I can surely afford to spend another $9 to give the cow and myself the best opportunity for success.
Most people, when they answer the "questionairre" on this site said they had less than 30 cows. So even if your doing your whole herd, your talking about $270 for new cidrs. Small price in my opinion to optimize your success!

Jill

At my house that would be $270 wasted, I was always taught a penny saved is a penny earned, I have not had any different results from a 2nd use cidr and don't hesitate to use them twice, they are marketed to be good for 2 uses, I guess to each their own.

wrc

I'm not knocking the idea of crimping the tails with pliers.  What we do is tie a tight knot in the tail so we know they have been used once.  We also clean them with warm water and a mild soap, let them dry and then store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.  Works good for us, can't tell any difference in the succes rate with new or once used cydrs. 

Bulldaddy

Speaking of saving money, has anyone besides me ever cut those esterus alert patches in half?  They seem to work just fine that way.

kanshow

I never even thought about cutting those patches in half.  that's a good idea.    Since we often use them when we are synching hfrs and there is a lot of activity, sometimes they come off so I take a sharpie and write the tag number on the patch.  If it comes off and I find it, I know which one it was..

ZNT

I love the idea of cutting the patches in half, and yes, we reuse CIDR's one time. Saving $9 on a CIDR or $.50 on a patch is worth it if there is no loss in cenception rate. If you sync 200 head, and half are reused CIDR's, and the patches are cut in half, you just saved yourself over $1000. That's worth it in my book.

kanshow

That's also a good idea to crimp the end with pliers.  We've been tying knots but the plier thing would be easier.      Especially since hubby pulls them out with his pliers anyway.  

I've not noticed any difference in response between used and new CIDRs so we'll continue to be thrifty and save...    I guess by cutting our patches in half and reusing CIDRs, we are GREEN!! 

Latest posts