RFID tags

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

i was thinking about tagging our showcalves with the RFID tags because we're not branding them. and that way if they do disapear we might be able to find them. so i was wondering which ones are the best? and whast the best wand?? we will also eventually start tagging the whole herd with them.

DL

I use Allflex tags - they have numbers on both sides that match the electronic number - you may not need a reader - depends on what your intentions are. All cattle in he entire state of MI are required to have RFID and most are Allflex.

pigguy

we wont be getting the wand until we decide to do the whole herd. we have tags in all th ecattle with our name and # and then a number and then differnt colors for steers and heifers. so we will proabbly just do the RFID tags in the herd. and same for the showcalves. because we start to get to many in their ears. one for county and then one for county breeding, our tag, and another during part of the year for who they are bred to and then the RFID

dori36

dragon lady said:
I use Allflex tags - they have numbers on both sides that match the electronic number - you may not need a reader - depends on what your intentions are. All cattle in he entire state of MI are required to have RFID and most are Allflex.

As a Michigan resident who brought my small herd of Lowlines with me when I moved from Wyoming, I have to say that Michigan's attitude and "requirements" for rfid identification has made me make the difficult decision to disperse my "reputation" herd of Lowlines.  Since Michigan lost their TB Free status (most of lower part of the state has regained the TB free status, though), Michigan has been required by APHIS to implement the mandatory id program even though Federally, the id programs are voluntary.  When I inquired/requested to be removed from the list of farms participating, I was informed (by Kevin Kirk who I talked with personally via phone)that in Michigan, voluntary withdrawl is not an option due to the TB erradication program.  Michigan, along with the impotent Michigan Cattlemens Association, seems to actually believe that they are setting up a program that will be imitated by "real" cattle states.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  Good, large cattleraisers "out west" just laugh when Michigan is mentioned in context with the word "cattle". Cattle in Michigan, btw, are only required to be tagged if they leave your premises.  If they remain on your property or go from your property directly to a slaughter facility, they are not required to be rfid tagged.

IMO, it's a sad day when a state with a poor (at best) beef cattle industry tries to play with the big boys and, thus, loses legitimate and knowledgeable producers.  Those pretending to be beef cattle producers need to go and learn the business from those who really know their business and operate as professionals.  Had I known what a mess Michigan is in cattlewise, I'd have never moved my cattle here.  Thanks for letting me rant!

DL

First off dori you are misinformed - the only part of MI that has regained TB free status is the upper peninsula of MI (no problem with your ranting, but get your facts straight pre rant  ;D

- the vast majority of the lower peninsula is classified as MAA Zone - Modified Accredited Advanced; the TB area (upper part of the lower peninsula) is MA or Modified Accredited. The minimum requirement to move cattle out of state from the MAA zone is a negative TH test withing 60 days (per USDA regs - UM&R and CFR9) - each state can add to that, for example Illinois requires a whole herd test and two negative tests at specific time periods for Michigan cattle from the MAA zone to enter. When the now MAA zone got that designation it freed us up from a lot of testing as many states (who had arduous requirements before) immediately followed the USDA recommendations (ie Ohio, Iowa)

The requirements for RFID are part of the requirements to regain TB free status for the MAA zone - IMHO this is a small price to pay for regaining our ability to move cattle out of state without TB testing...I don't know how long you have been back in MI but the past 10 years have been very difficult for MI cattle producers, especially those in the MA zone

just out of curiosity if it is such a bad place why did you come back?

dori36

<<just out of curiosity if it is such a bad place why did you come back?>>

I came back because after 12 years in Wyoming, it was time to come "home" and I brought my very valuable  herd of Lowlines with me hoping to continue raising them here.  Had I known what a mess Michigan's beef cattle industry (?) was, I would have dispersed my rather valuable herd before ever bringing them here.  For me, the TB issue is only part of a dying and inept beef cattle industry here.  I had no idea there were no quality sale terminals left, very few quality processors - just a huge amount of contraction in a one-time viable pursuit.  Where do commercial cattle raisers here sell their cattle?  Prices I see recorded in the public sale barns are way behind what one would expect in Billings, Torrington, etc.  Does everyone trying to measure their bulls for performance have to send them far away for a good bull test?  I see only about 50 on test here, as a rule.  Not much of a test, really.  No, I'm not and have never been a commercial cattle raiser with large numbers of cattle.  But a good commercial industry is one measure of the kind of cattle industry in a state.  Ultimately, the commercial raisers are who purebred breeders are raising cattle for so the commercial people can buy predictable and proven genetics for the feed industry.  When you lose your large feeders, or those who supply them, you lose the attendant peripheral services connected to them.  More power to you if you are functioning in a satisfactory fashion here.  For me, I'm happy to be here but won't be raising cattle here.  I sent all I cared about out west before the March deadline this past Spring.

DL

Well I am not really sure what the issue about the March deadline was - I have never seen a person who really wanted an animal refuse to buy it because it had an RFID tag - that was the March 1, 2007 deadline.

It is my understanding that many herds in Idaho are now using RFID and probably other "real cattle state" as well, and of course Canada has mandatory ID and I think much of Canada would be considered "real cattle country"

Sorry you are so unhappy but I guess it points out the importance of doing ones homework before one moves their valuable cattle from state to state....

renegade

We pay five dollars at the first steer weigh in in febary and the extension office worms the cattle and gives them an electronic tag. Oh ya they did it for the sheep too.

Show Heifer

Dori, I am confused....why were the requirements SOOOO bad that you had to sell your valuable herd? Were the $5 tags too expensive for those "valuable" lowlines?  Was the paper work too hard to fill out? What EXACTLY was the requirement that was just so awful you "had" to sell your cattle. Because personally, I can't think of anything that would make me sell my cattle if I didnt want to sell. I have a heifer as I type that I would walk on coals for, and a $5 tag, a mountain of paperwork, and would some damn government program would NEVER MAKE me sell her.
So please explain...I don't understand.
Oh by the way, are we know going to pick on each others home state due to the number of cattle they do or do not have???? Are we counting the top 2, top 5, top 10 cattle states as the "real states"? What about the top 15? Or are we going to go by number of head? Anything over 50million head? 20 million? What is the cut off to be considered "real"?
I think making fun of MI by refering to them as "not a real cattle state" is a bit harsh. And "inept"....come on dori...that would be like me making fun of lowlines saying that since they are low in total numbers and are small sized they are not real cattle. Only the "not real cattleman", hobbyest,  would raise lowlines because they are "inept" raising real cattle breeds.  How did that make ya feel? Not good I suppose, so know you know it feels.
Know, I am done venting.....

DL

Actually Show Heifer the cost of the tags is in MI is only $2 - you call a number, give them your premise ID and how many tags you want and they arrive like magic and no cost for postage. Couldn't be much easier -

I just went out tonight and told my cows that they weren't real cows and that they didn't live in a real cow state (I think they are eating real grass so we didn't go there) - actually you know that could be a new nitch market FAUX BOVINE ala faux state (clapping) (lol) (cow) (clapping) (cow) (clapping)

dori36

"Know, I am done venting.....
[/quote]

..and I hope your venting made you feel as good as my "rant" did.  I, too, am done with this thread.  I'm happy for you that you are satisfied raising/owning beef cattle in Michigan.  I am not and, good grief, it has nothing to do with the cost of the Allflex tags.  To each his/her own. Best wishes growing/running your program and achieving whatever succes make you happy.

DL

dori36 said:

..and I hope your venting made you feel as good as my "rant" did.  I, too, am done with this thread.  I'm happy for you that you are satisfied raising/owning beef cattle in Michigan.  I am not and, good grief, it has nothing to do with the cost of the Allflex tags.  To each his/her own. Best wishes growing/running your program and achieving whatever succes make you happy.
[/quote]

Actually Show Heifer is in Iowa and I am in Michigan - and I am quite aware that you are not talking about the cost of the tags.

The TB issue has haunted us in Michigan since 1995 - 12 years of testing, movement restrictions,  more testing - apparently you chose to return without understanding the ramifications of the TB issue on your cattle endeavor - while I am sorry you are surprised at the state of the industry in Michigan, my compassion really goes more toward the 30 plus herds that have been forced to depopulate due to bovine TB - the basically had no choice - I feel for the purebred breeder who watched as his genetics were slaughtered and his kids show animals were sent to slaughter because his herd was infected with bovine TB. I ache for the generations of dairy farmers who are cowless because of the disease, and for the countless others who lost their entire herd because of bovine TB. The social, emotional, financial, psychological and yes political ramifications of this issue are enormous - the cattle industry and all the ancillary components are struggling to survive - these people were stuck in a vortex over which they had no control - you made a choice. Eldridge Cleever said you are either part of the solution or part of the problem, while this is America and we all can rant - sometimes ranting without action borders on whining

dori36

dragon lady said:
dori36 said:

Actually Show Heifer is in Iowa and I am in Michigan - and I am quite aware that you are not talking about the cost of the tags.

The TB issue has haunted us in Michigan since 1995 - 12 years of testing, movement restrictions,  more testing - apparently you chose to return without understanding the ramifications of the TB issue on your cattle endeavor - while I am sorry you are surprised at the state of the industry in Michigan, my compassion really goes more toward the 30 plus herds that have been forced to depopulate due to bovine TB - the basically had no choice - I feel for the purebred breeder who watched as his genetics were slaughtered and his kids show animals were sent to slaughter because his herd was infected with bovine TB. I ache for the generations of dairy farmers who are cowless because of the disease, and for the countless others who lost their entire herd because of bovine TB. The social, emotional, financial, psychological and yes political ramifications of this issue are enormous - the cattle industry and all the ancillary components are struggling to survive - these people were stuck in a vortex over which they had no control - you made a choice. Eldridge Cleever said you are either part of the solution or part of the problem, while this is America and we all can rant - sometimes ranting without action borders on whining

[/quote]

Well, I'll clarify that the TB issue was known to me when I decided to move.  I'll summarize my frustration thus:  1.  I am not a NAIS supporter and that is why I was (am) incensed by the requirment to tag my cattle.  This could be a VERY big discussion on this topic and I'm not going to continue, but that is the primary reason I sent my cattle away.  It's not just an id issue, I have always branded my cattle when living in a brand state.  I simply will fight being in any government centered database with my animals - period. I support and understand the need to test for and monitor for TB.  I "whole herd" tested twice here since my arrival in 2003.  I 'am' a responsible cattle owner.  I was also amazed and disappointed to see the lack of professionalism and a businesslike attitude in many small cattle raisers I have encountered.  Many don't even vaccinate for the most basic of diseases and few routinely test for Johnes and persistent BVD.  Even though Michigan is Bangs free, I also seem to have run into SO many who don't Bangs vaccinate!  I find that short sighted.  I routinely vaccinate and test and require any cattle that may come to my place to also be tested and vaccinated.  I think I'm in the minority, but as a Veterinarian, you may disagree.  2.  My major disappointment was the disappearance of viable and multiple sale outlets for all classes of cattle on the commercial market.  Where did the sale barns go?  There are just a handful left and finding a good slaughter facility is a challenge, to say the least.  I'm not sure I could have known how contracted the beef cattle business here has become.  It's just "microscopic" compared to years past.  I first began raising cattle in Michigan a long time ago with deacon calves.  When I needed to market them, there were many options.  Now, there are few.  I think it's sad, that's all.
3.  Part of the problem?  Well, maybe, but I think the problem is bigger than I or anyone else is going to solve when one thinks of re-building the cattle biz here into an 'industry'.  4.  I watched ranchers' herds get "depopulated" by the loss of Brucellosis Free status in Wyoming.  There's nothing wrong with my "sympathy meter".  I hate all of grief and disasters caused by cattle diseases and the necessary means of containing them.  Here, it's the Whitetail deer.  In the mountain states, particularly Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, it's the elk and bison co-mingling on the feed lines with the cattle.  All in all, there are many challenges raising cattle.  I just prefer an atmosphere where cattle raising is the norm, and not a novelty.  It would be sort of like Wyoming deciding they can build better cars than we can.  Not likely!

DL

dori - I agree with this statement (below) 100% (looks like we finally found some common ground)

I was also amazed and disappointed to see the lack of professionalism and a businesslike attitude in many small cattle raisers I have encountered.  Many don't even vaccinate for the most basic of diseases and few routinely test for Johnes and persistent BVD.  Even though Michigan is Bangs free, I also seem to have run into SO many who don't Bangs vaccinate!  I find that short sighted.  I routinely vaccinate and test and require any cattle that may come to my place to also be tested and vaccinated.  I think I'm in the minority, but as a Veterinarian, you may disagree.

renegade

I feel for the purebred breeder who watched as his genetics were slaughtered and his kids show animals were sent to slaughter because his herd was infected with bovine TB. I ache for the generations of dairy farmers who are cowless because of the disease, and for the countless others who lost their entire herd because of bovine TB. The social, emotional, financial, psychological and yes political ramifications of this issue are enormous - the cattle industry and all the ancillary components are struggling to survive - these people were stuck in a vortex over which they had no control - you made a choice. Eldridge Cleever said you are either part of the solution or part of the problem, while this is America and we all can rant - sometimes ranting without action borders on whining

I am looking for a topic to do my prepared FFA speech on (its a contest). It seems as though this would be a great topic because it combines different parts, problems, and advancements in the beef cattle industry. Any way i was wondering; if i choose to do this topic, would you mind if i used some of that paragragh(the one above) in my speech. it would really make people look beond their own operation and would also make them think a little harder about their operation.

DL

renegade - absolutely no problem - I may be able to point you in the direction of some other info if that would be helpful  ;D

DL

PM me your email and Ill see what I can find...what is your deadline???(aka how fast do I need to get my act together??)

DL

dragon lady said:
PM me your email and Ill see what I can find...what is your deadline???(aka how fast do I need to get my act together??)

renegade - I can't find anything about the deal in MI and TB; you might want to search in regards to the first FMD outbreak in England - there were many small farmers who had all their livestock killed. There were some sociologists studying the MI deal but they didn't publish it - I'll keep looking - good luck
:)

renegade

I deliver the speech on december 13.  I have read a little on the outbreak in england. I would like to relate ti to idaho (which wouldn't be hard im sure) to help but it doesn't have to.