right side?

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

i have a heifer that i started to halter break and she will let you work on her left side for ever but then on her right side she will let you work on it for about 5 minutes then start jumping up and  flipping out. bu ti dont know y. help please

ps i want it to be spring already so i can start showin this heifer she has tons of thick hair( it has been in 100's the past month)  she is gona be a sweet market heifer. she is out of sweet pea

knabe

this is common with horses as everyone thinks you HAVE to do everything on the left side, then when you need to do something over there, they balk.  with my horse, i actually throw the saddle on from the right (offside) as there is less tack to throw over and bang them.  all you have to do is stay over there, let them go around in a circle.  pretend you are the post and keep moving so that when they are acting up, you are not a solid post, so they get used to pulling when they get stressed or uncomfortable.  this is really quite an easy problem to fix.  in horses, these is extremely easy to observe in how they move as they become one sided, both in their muscle, but also how they use their eyes.  it's best if they can use both of them.  this is why it's important to not pull, but hold the lead with tension, and let them put the slack in by moving towards you.  they can think, just let them.  the moving post concept is kinda hard to explain, but just keep them moving until they take the rear leg that is closest to you and place it BEHIND the other one.  as long as it goes in front of the other one, they are in gear and can keep moving and that's all they are thinking about.  to change gears requires changing thinking on their part.

pigguy

she isnt as bad now i will go mess with her as soon as i feed the pigs.  :( pigs suck

red

Just keep working w/ her. That's the best way to get anywhere. Time & practice are key to sucess.

Red

pigguy

she wont be worked with for a few days. she just got dehorned and the vet went a little deep on one horn( got into the nasal cavity)