Ringworm help!

Help Support Steer Planet:

seaj

I have researched past posts on treating ringworm with fluid film, and bacon grease, and the fung all from sullivans but am still wondering what is the best treatment and what is the best way of ridding this stuff? Is the shampoo worth using and what about the pen? Is there anyway to get rid of it completely? We have never had this problem before and unfortunately bought a steer that was housed with others that had it and now our second steer has it to. Any help would be great!! I am not worried about hair right now as we wont be showing them till early may so I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!!

frostback

Not sure what else you need as you have the treatments already. I would just treat the spots a couple times a day if possible for a week or so. If there is no more white crusty stuff should be dead and then you should see hair grow back. Wear gloves as you can get it from the calves. Once the calves have had it and its dead you should not get it back again, but next years calves may get it.

vc

We used fluid film worked for us, basically if you treat it and keep it moist it will heal and start growing hair fairly quickly no matter which treatment you choose. (Fluid film was handy just to have around)

I would clean your halters with a fungicide, in my opinion that is how it spread so fast, I know the ranch we got calves from, they work 20 to 30 calves a day, halters are stacked over the rail and probably never end up on the same calf twice. One calf is all it takes to spread it to the whole bunch.

[email protected]

Fulvicine paste will kill ringworm from the inside and get all of them.  Sodium Iodine IV will do the same.  Fluid film is a lanoline lubricant and lanoline is natures self defense against ringworms or fungus.  All work well.

Not a believer in all the fungus fungo stuff.  Fungus thrives on moisture and that seems to enhance the moisture.  Just my opinion.  Others may have found that it works.

kth1025

I've used the Tinactin in the tube and just apply twice a day for about a week.....good to go!! Yes the kind you buy for athletes feet at any local grocery store or Walmart

seaj

Thanks guys for all the help! I guess I just wasn't sure as we never had ringworm before. We weren't sure if this was going to be a recurring problem every so often or just a one time thing. The guy we bought the carrier steer from had said it was just a one time thing so we just weren't sure. Better now than show time I guess. Thanks again!!

midwestcca

We scrubbed it with a wire brush until it bleeds (and yes this hurts the animal), spray it with bleach and then spread Iodine on it. Clean halters and other items used with bleach as well. My doctor said it is passable to humans but only through rubbing. So I recommend using gloves while treating.
For the ground, I was able to find info on the web. I don't remember what it said, but I can look again if you would like me to.

www.midwestcca.org

frostback

You don't need to scrap it. That just takes the healing process longer. A couple times putting what ever on it, I use the bacon grease and after the first time the white scabby stuff will fall off and then you are on your way to healing. The grease also keeps the skin moist and promotes hair growth too. Don't need to make it hurt.

justintime

I have always been able to conquer ringworm in short order using Fluid Film, Crest tooth paste or an old home remedy that my grandfather used consisting of mineral oil, sulpher and creoline mixed together into a paste. All seemed to work great..well, they did until last winter. I got ringworm in my bull pen from some unknown source, and it was the hardest to get a handle on I have ever seen. I probably spent $300-400 on Fluid Film and it looked like it was working then the ringworm would come back even more and spread to other areas. It was a mess. I tried several different products and finally after exhausting several ideas, I tried a couple different brands of athlete foot cream from the local drug store. Within a few days I could see I had hair growing again and within two weeks it was hard to tell some of the bulls had ringworm. This year, my bulls are in the same pen and they are receiving the same ration, including the same salt and minerals. To date I have  not seen any ringworm in the pen, and hopefully won't. I should also add that I have always mixed a high iodide mix in the mineral as it usually helps prevent ringworm and helps clear it up. Last year was the exception.

Shorthorn Newbie

We used M.T.G last year on our heifers and the ringworm was gone within days and hair growth within a week to 10 days. It has a mineral oil consistency that you rub directly on (with rubber gloves on of course). The scabs come off immediately. We got it from ValleyVet.com but it may be available other places. It is actually used for Maine and Tail hair growth for horses as well as fungus,etc. I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try. I think someone on this site actually had recommended it last year which is why we tried it and it worked AWESOME!! Will definitely use it again this year if we have an outbreak. Lot's of good ideas, hope this helps.

GoWyo

In 2012 we got in on all of the show cattle except 1.  That steer must have had it as a baby is all I can figure.  The rest of them got it all over their heads, necks, butts and a few spots on their sides.  This was during severe drought and hot weather.  Cattle in the pasture got it, with most of the calves having a few spots, and a few of the cows as well.  It seemed to start with fly bite areas that the cattle were rubbing and then it ran rampant.  We tried every remedy ever discussed and nothing worked very fast.  Got it to quit spreading after a month of treatment, which basically matches up with the normal life cycle of ring worm infections.  After that, I started using MTG and that has worked without having to go through the normal 30-45 day course of ring worm.

We disinfected all the combs, etc. after 2012 show season by dipping them in bleach water, but did not spray bleach on the cooler room or anything else.  Did not have it in 2013, except for a few spots in the winter and used MTG on those, which seemed to shut it down.