Ringworm Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

I have looked through the past threads and found many things to kill/get rid of ringworm. 
Fluid Film
Blue Star Ointment
Tinactin and other anti fungal creams/sprays
Topical Fungicide
Shapley MTG
Vagisil
Vetericyn
Iodine
Bacon Grease
Goats
etc.
My question is do you have to scrape the ringworm/scab off of it on all of these for these to work?  We have small spots starting to form on 1 calf and I would like to kill it before it spreads.  Can you soak, spray or rub anything on it to kill it rather than scrub the ringworm until it bleeds then put these on?  Any advice is welcome.

CAB

As you stated there are many different products that get used for treating ringworm. For me, if you can get it prescribed from a vet, there is nothing that works as well as Fulvison. 2 oral treatment 2 weeks apart and it's gone. No scraping, no fuss. Can be hard to get in certain areas.

Hyper Intake

I've always used fitting paint or just plain spray paint and never scraped the scab off I just coated the area with the paint and it suffocates the ringworm and it cant grow anymore and just goes away.  If you do that make sure you run a comb through the hair in that spot so it doesn't turn into a clumped up mess from the paint.

simba

I scratch it till it bleeds and then cover it in extra strength iodine. Works great, just stains white hair for a few months so I'd use something else if you have a white calf.

cowboybecoachin

I use a curry comb and scratch off all the white and down to the blood. Then spray with fluid film. Excellent results.

shortii

I use fluid film without scrapping and it pretty much dissolves the scab. It works great for me.

bruiser

I've used several different things with no favorite. Most work well with persistence. You need to treat twice a day - everyday- until it's gone. Then use A&D ointment or something in that order to keep skin moist to help hair regrowth. Just remember - nothing works well while in the container.

nobody

Ringworm is the devil!!  :mad: We just had our very first round with ring worm and we scrapped the spots and used bleach twice a day. Someone on here suggested using the clorox bleach pen when using bleach around face and it helped a lot. We washed them in iodine shampoo every other day and sprayed them down the other days with athletes foot spray (not around face). Once the spots looked smooth and pink and healthy we started using the fluid film that comes in the can with a brush. Hair started back within the week of using fluid film. We also sprayed everything down in pure bleach once a week and put lime dust out. I don't know if the spraying with bleach and the lime helps but it made me feel better so I did it. Hope it gets better for you..this really is a bad time of year to be loosing hair.