Ringworm

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

Ok, I really have 2 different questions

1.  What do you do for ringworm on the eyelid, I'm afraid to treat it, I don't want stuff in her eyes.

2.  We have 18 calves, too many to doctor them all, if left untreated will ringworm eventually go away and how long will it take? 

dori36

Jill said:
Ok, I really have 2 different questions

1.  What do you do for ringworm on the eyelid, I'm afraid to treat it, I don't want stuff in her eyes.

2.  We have 18 calves, too many to doctor them all, if left untreated will ringworm eventually go away and how long will it take? 

My fitter has some sort of "secret potion" she used and swears by it.  For me, if you have some time, I've found consistent exposure to sunlight is pretty effective.  Show calves locked up in barns seem to do worse on the ringworm front.

Show Dad

J - If you are willing (have) to give it time get some powdered iodine or mineral with iodine in it. feed according to directions and it will get rid of it. Also D36 is right add a light sunlight.

Show Heifer

I think this has been covered before....have you tried "search" to see what comes up??

shortyisqueen

Give her a shot of Vitamins A & D, and put some liquid  iodine tincture on the eyelid with a q-tip. The ringworm will go eventually, as they build up a resistance to it - and once they get it, it is very unlikely they will get it again. It will probably take a couple months for the hair to start growing back over it.

Jill

I'm sorry you all have a problem with answering this question, I wasn't looking for a cure or the reason for ringworm, we have treated ringworm for years and I am very happy with what we use.  The answer I was looking for has not been discussed on any forum I have ever read and that is why I asked the question.
The calves I am dealing with are in an outdoor pen in the sunlight, they are not broke so no halters, brushes or anything else, they are sale calves that we are just feeding, all I wanted to know was if it went away without treatment and if so how long it took.
The calf with ringworm on her eyelid is a show heifer and I am just afraid to put anything that close to her eye, didn't know if it would go away if I didn't we had a show in a month.
Again shortyisqueen, thank you for actually answering the question I asked.

TJ

Jill said:
I'm sorry you all have a problem with answering this question, I wasn't looking for a cure or the reason for ringworm, we have treated ringworm for years and I am very happy with what we use.  The answer I was looking for has not been discussed on any forum I have ever read and that is why I asked the question.
The calves I am dealing with are in an outdoor pen in the sunlight, they are not broke so no halters, brushes or anything else, they are sale calves that we are just feeding, all I wanted to know was if it went away without treatment and if so how long it took.
The calf with ringworm on her eyelid is a show heifer and I am just afraid to put anything that close to her eye, didn't know if it would go away if I didn't we had a show in a month.
Again shortyisqueen, thank you for actually answering the question I asked.

OK.  ???  In your own words, you asked... "What do you do for ringworm on the eyelid..." 

I guess I am confused too, because that sounds an awful lot like you were seeking a cure to me.  The first 2 who responded said "sunlight exposure" & as long as she can blink, that certainly wont harm her eye.  That would've been one of my answers too, btw.  Anyway, I just wanted to point out that those 2 weren't the only ones who were confused & suspect that many others probably were as well.     

DL

TJ - I was confused too - I spent a bit of time writing what I thought was a thoughtful response to several questions (I have reposted it below) and got slammed (and I thought I answered the questions, guess Abe Lincoln was right again) - kinda makes ya wonder why bother..but here is my Cliff note version on ringworm in case someone might find it useful even if some didn't.

As Show Heifer said this has been covered before but here is the Cliff note version of ringworm
1. Ringworm is caused by a fungus
2. Each mammalian species has its own ringworm (so to speak) - ie cattle ringworm prefers cattle but can infect other species like humans
3. Ringworm is zoonotic - you can get it - if you are immunocompromized wear gloves or stay away 
4. Ringworm is self limiting - it will go away in the vast majority of cases with tincture of time - SUNLIGHT helps a ton!
5. If ringworm doesn't go away or the calf is totally covered it is likely there is some problem with the calf
6. The fungus hides/hangs on fomites - if you have an issue you should clean all halters, brushes, gates etc where calves might rub
7. IF THERE WAS A GOOD CURE FOR RINGWORM WE WOULD ALL USE IT! That is why everyone has their own special cure all - since it is a self limiting disease (ie it goes away) it looks like you cured it when actually it goes away on it's own. Some of the anti fungal creams might help
8. I personally would NEVER treat a superficial nonlife threatening infection with a systemic product - although people use injectable vitamins often they are not without risk including anaphylaxis and abortion and risk benefit wise I don't think the risk is worth it. I would also not feed iodine for a nonlife threatenting self limiting superficial skin infection
9. I would NEVER put iodine on an eyelid - again the risk to me out weighs the benefit - look what iodine does to a naval and imagine that in the eye  Also the fumes from iodine are really irritating
10. as SIQ said once they get ringworm they usually don't get it again - ie this is why you see it mostly in calves
11. If you have a bunch of calves with ringworm you need to get them out in the sun, make sure they have an excellent mineral program, and clean like crazy where they were/are as well as halters etc. It also loves to hide in wood.
12. Good luck

kanshow

Has anyone ever had any success with putting monostat or tinactin on the ringworm.  A few years ago, my daughter's Angus heifer had it so bad she looked like a reverse dalmation.  Our vet at the time had a good back ground in show cattle and he had us wash her with iodized shampoo, tincture of iodine, and then finally monostat on the places that were the hardest to heal.  She cleared. up.

Does anyone know how related this is to club lamb fungus?  That was our bane all summer.  We fought it with several things...  But the interesting thing we found.. the lambs have a slightly elevated temp when it breaks.  Our best results with all the topical stuff came when we treated the lamb with an antibiotic at the same time.  All I know is it worked for us..    I'd be interested in hearing what DL & some others have to say.

We have the premisis/trailers/equipment all cleaned & sprayed now.    Gotta love Chlorox. 

jldshorthorns

Question #1- Actually as far fetched as it sounds to get rid of ring worm we used lube oil for machinery. I wouldn't use it around the eyes as in your case but for the general use in the herd for on the head ect... it works quite well.

Question #2- Ringworm will go away on its own after it runs its course as well. It really depends upon how badly the animal is affected. But in the average situation to be healed up it may take anywhere from a month to two months.

red

Never hurts to ask repeat questions. Sometimes someone comes up w/ a new idea or problem. I'm surprised at the attitude to be honest, but then a lot of things surprise me anymore.
Jill, I like the bleach pen for areas that you don't want something dripping of running. I think the biggest problem is getting their head steady. I guess in my opinion if it was on the eyelid, I'd probably leave it alone.
I was amazed at a recent sale I went too the amount of ringworm that they had. I'd be very reluctant to bring it on my farm. It's a nasty problem to battle.
Smile & keep doing what you do. I guess my adivce to some is to not read topics that you feel are repeats.

Red

justme

Jill,
We had that terrible around Danielle's heifers eyes last year.  I used a clorox bleach pen carefully.  The bleach is a jell, and I used a q-tip to really get it where I wanted it.  I also used fluid film on a q-tip.  It worked along with sunlight.

Don't sweat the comments...some just aren't worth the time.

Sounds like the old board is back lol