ringworm

Help Support Steer Planet:

mn55

my steer has recently gotten ringworm on his head. I was wondering if anyone knows of any feed additives or remedies to get rid of it. The vet suggested Koppertox, but that will turn his head green. He is white and i also have a show coming up so that won't work.

WSC2010

Go to Lowes and get fluid film. Its in a aerosal can. Spray the spots twice a day. It does wonders for us.

shortybreeder

Our vet clinic makes a product that's kind of like Vaseline  (in texture only) that they prescribe for show stock only. Kills ringworm in about 3 days, all signs will be gone within 2 weeks. Not sure what it's made of, but you could ask your vet if they have any products specifically for show stock.

DSCSD

im a big fan of multi min 90 and it has recently been brought to my attention that it mat help against ringworm. I know of people that have problems with ringworm in show barns but since they have started using mm90 they noticed they haven't had any over the last year. a vet told 1 that the levels of 2 of the minerals (cant remember which 2 they said) should be enough to help prevent any. ring worm really isn't hard to kill.... it just takes forever to get hair back.  its a fungus  so just about any spray or cream will get rid of it. good luck!

Diamond

I have used everything under the sun and by far the best is Sullivan's FungALL I always laughed because it is expensive, but when I noticed a spot at a show I grabbed a tube, never using anything else. A spot pops up I use it and its gone in a few day with hair growing back in.

SimFarmer

shapley's MTG is really good too. Basically, you need to keep the spots covered with anything that keeps the skin moist and the "worm" from breathing to kill the ringworm, I'd say it takes a little less than a week to kill it. After that it's about keeping the skin healthy to grow the hair back as fast as it will. Be patient and consistent in applying treatment.

Tallcool1

I had a pretty good show steer guy tell me a couple years back:

"You can spray it, scrub it, grease it, and moisturize it...all signs should be completely gone in about 4 weeks...or you can do nothing and all signs of it will be gone in about a month!"

I laughed about it, and then realized he was not joking!

Medium Rare

Tallcool1 said:

"You can spray it, scrub it, grease it, and moisturize it...all signs should be completely gone in about 4 weeks...or you can do nothing and all signs of it will be gone in about a month!"

I think this same guy told me to buy pair of goats. I've yet to ever have another case of ringworm.

No clue how/if the two are connected, but he did manage to sell a pair of goats to someone who doesn't care for goats.

Tallcool1

Medium Rare said:
Tallcool1 said:

I think this same guy told me to buy pair of goats. I've yet to ever have another case of ringworm.

No clue how/if the two are connected, but he did manage to sell a pair of goats to someone who doesn't care for goats.

In all seriousness, I have had multiple people tell me the goat remedy.  Apparently, there is something about the chemical that goats emit that ringworm doesn't like.

The problem is figuring out which is worse, the ringworm or the smell of the goats!!

CAB

Feed additive, better yet capsule form, requires a vet prescript, will work every time without fail, Fulvison.

DoubleBCattleCo

We have used Blu-Kote on our black show calves and works awesome. Also have used wd-40 on calves that are red or white and have had pretty good success with it as well.

Medium Rare

Tallcool1 said:
Medium Rare said:
Tallcool1 said:

I think this same guy told me to buy a pair of goats. I've yet to ever have another case of ringworm.

In all seriousness, I have had multiple people tell me the goat remedy.  Apparently, there is something about the chemical that goats emit that ringworm doesn't like.

The problem is figuring out which is worse, the ringworm or the smell of the goats!!

It seemed to work here.

Other than unhooking one out of a fence one time, I never paid any attention to them. They were a pair of wether pigmy crosses who went obese eating crumbs and hay off the ground and whatever they could scrounge out of the pens. They did wonders for the calves that liked to kick and you'd often see them climbing all over the calves when out on grass. They might have caused some calves to be a little protective of the bunk, but the possibility of competition might have increased intake some. The hood of the cadillac eventually sent them to town, but I have still yet to have a single case of ringworm since they were here. Would do it again if needed.

shortybreeder

We have a pair of goats, and still have ringworm--but not in the freestall barn where they like to hang out... so maybe there is something to that theory? We also have Icelandic sheep, which I can tell you do nothing. This winter we have them in the barn with the dairy calves, and we have a heifer whose face has more ringworm than hair... the goats are more enjoyable to watch anyways.

Doc

Scrub it good, then I hit one time with a Clorox bleach pen, then 2 days - twice a day with Vagisil cream (that gets you some looks at the Dollar Store when you buy 4 tubes at a time) , then Fluid Film to keep it moist.

chappy6655

We have used the Fluid Film many times and it has worked pretty good for us, we tried a goat once but the only one in the barn that didn't get ringworm was the one that cuddled up with the goat every night. I've recently heard another solution we might try. Vasoline heated in microwave and mixed with anti-fungal powder (such as desonex) to make a paste that can be rubbed on.

b_kackley

Go for the goat! I thought it was stupid also but on two occasions I have seen cattle infested with ringworm for multiple years. One guy even powere washed and bleached his entire barn. Still had it. In both cases an ugly 50 dollar billy fixed the problem, and I have not seen it in either barn since. There are a lot of ways to take care of it most of which have already been covered just couldn't resist chiming in on the goats.

CAB

I've seen the goat remedy work, but I have always been told that it needs to be a Billy goat. Is that the case? I have often wondered why it works scientifically, does anyone know why it works?

shortybreeder

Billy goats will pee into their mouths and drool it onto their beard to release pheromones. These pheromones are required in most cases to bring a female goat into heat. My guess is they have something to do with the ringworm. We had a Billy once, but he smelled so bad that we gave him to our neighbors (who only had dogs and chickens) and he stopped doing the pee thing. Once they got a couple Wethers though he started again. So you probably need a Billy and a wether or a doe to keep him performing. The billy requirement could be why we have ringworm on the place, despite having 2 goats (a doe and wether)

CAB

As far as it requiring a doe or another goat around I haven't noticed that being so. I have seen feed yards with one Billy goat per pen. I am curious as to what, scientifically, keeps the fungus that causes ringworm in check.