Rinsing Calves During Winter

Help Support Steer Planet:

Colorado2009

Who all here rinses their calves during winter? Kurt Stierwalt has said to rinse them once a day during the winter months? Any opinions?  :-\

ShowStopper

I would absolutly LOVE to be able to rinse every day during the winter. I would if I could.With school and it getting dark so soon, it is just not as possible as I would like it to be. Even when it is cold, we will rinse. You just have to make really really sure that they are BONE DRY. If you ahve an area that is sheltered from the wind, that is the best place to do it. We have an enclosed barn (our cooler) that stays about 60 when it is below freezing outside so we rinse outside then bring the in to dry and let them stand for a while. Rinsing in the witner months sure helps come spring time as they don't have huge manure balls haging off of them. ;D

pigguy

Yes you should rinse everyday, but when you have more then 2 calves and school, its is hard to do it every day. we have 3 calves we are getting ready to show, so On monday we wash one and blow them all out, then tuesday, we do a diff one, and blow the rest off, then on wednesday, we wash one and blowout the rest and so on and so forth. and then on saturday and sunday, we wash them and do everything we should do during the week but dont have time for. i washed them today even though it was snowing out, and we dont have a barn besides our lean to

renegade

So you wash them out side and then blow them until they are dry, right? I cant wait to get a blower so that i can do that, but then again i cant wait to get my new calves. He has decide to wait three more weeks to wean :'( (they are moving into a new house), I am DYING i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D 

pigguy

renegade said:
So you wash them out side and then blow them until they are dry, right? I cant wait to get a blower so that i can do that, but then again i cant wait to get my new calves. He has decide to wait three more weeks to wean :'( (they are moving into a new house), I am DYING i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D 
yup or if your lucky you will be able to have a barn and get to washing them inside. whenare you getting your blower?