roached back

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

Do you think it is a structural issue passed on from parents or due to an injury? I have 2 calves with it this year, one severe, and I am pretty sure they weren't like that as babies but it seems to be getting worse as they grow older. Any ideas? Thanks Here is a picture of the most severe one.

Attachments

• Picture 1133.jpg
    Picture 1133.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 730

fluffer

It appears to me from this picture that your calfs roaching back is a structural issue.  Notice how straight the hock is as well as the shoulder blade.  If this is infact the case it will get worse with time.  I raise some gelbviehs and had a heifer a couple of years ago that we really liked.  She was probably the straightest(leggs) thing I had ever raised.  As a calf she looked good, but as a cow she was useless.  She even got down one time because she was so straight.  Needless to say after her first calf she went to town.  Shouldn't have kept her that long.  Your calf doesn't appear quite as bad, but none the less still straight.  See what others on here have to say, that is just my opnion  ;D  Good luck!

Fluffer

Bawndoh

My sister has a cow like that.  She has been that way for as long as I remember.  She must be at least 10 years old and every single one of her calves has either been shown, or retained in the herd.  It certainly is not a structural problem she has, maybe was just once injured.  She has no problem with proper movement.  Will still eat you alive at calving time, and maybe even for a month afterwards.  Lol. 
If your heifers have problems with general movement, and travelling, I would send them to the sale barn.  Also check them out to see if their structure will allow proper room and movement for breeding, and calving.  If she seems fine, I would keep her.

loveRedcows

We had a "humpback" cow for many years.  Noticed it when we weaned her but decided to keep & see if it was trauma based.  Not one of her 7 calves showed any indication of the same condition.

Latest posts