roasted soybeans- what are they good for?

Help Support Steer Planet:

bfn5005

I show simmental heifers and been hearing alot of people feeding roasted soybeans in their feed but nobody ever really explain what they are good for. I know they are very expensive where i live so i would like if someone could explain what the purposes of the soybeans are good for before i spend the money for them. Thanks.

aj

I think the roasting process just makes the soybean more digestible. The cooking process just makes the bean more valuable. I think soybean meal is also cooked before grinding.

PLKR

The roasted beans would be a good source of fat as well as protein.  You might want to look into "whole extruded soybean meal"--still contains much of the fat, and MAY be cheaper than the roasted beans. We've used it before--it's a nice addition to show rations.

simtal

the roasting process does several things.  The heating will destroy the trypsin inhibitors along with protecting some fat and protein from rumen degradation.

rtmcc

I have used whole roasted beans in the past to put fat cover on fast.  If I remember right, the fat is "bypass fat" that is absorbed after it passes the rumen.  It worked great to add some fast cover to a steer of heifer but can give them the squirts.  Remember to back off on one of your other protein sources to keep a balance if you use them to.  Cattle sure love them.

Ron
<cowboy>