Rocky Balboa on heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

JPB

He worked good, we bred him to five heifers and never had to touch a one. calves were between 60-80lbs

CAB

I bought some RB thinking that I was going to use it on some OCC Freestyle heifers and have decided against it. Early on there were reports of some RB calves weighing 140lbs. He's not proven safe enough for me yet. I'll use him somewhere else instead. JMO.

Show Heifer

I used him on angus heifer and 2nd calvers. Absolutely no troubles. 
But, if I was breeding clubbie heifers (hw, hs, etc) no, I probably wouldn't use him.

Remember, your heifer bloodlines, and management are a big part of the equation.

Oats

Thanks for the help. I know his first year there was some bad reports, but it was also a really cold winter and we had huge calves out of Ali and new standard which are supposed to be calving ease didn't save one of them. Just hadn't heard anything after that first year.

DCC_Cattle

I would not recommend Rocky Balboa on first calf heifers. I bred a heifer to him and then started hearing of big calves this year and started to get worried. The heifer calved last night and it was no easy task getting this calf out. 115# calf with a huge hip on him. The heifer had trouble getting back up and the calf has still not gotten up. Looks to be a very nice one, however I would not use RB on first calf heifers.