Roto Fluffer

Help Support Steer Planet:

klintdog

Here's a silly question, I used one of those Sullivan Roto Fluffer brushes for the first time last night. What's the best way to use this on the hair? Do you run it clockwise or counter-clockwise against the hair? I ran it clockwise so it would pull the hair up, but I ended up with a lot of ripples in the hair.

Do you guys have an instruction manual for using this thing? :)

Thanks!

HSV

If I remember correctly....Kirk showed us to go against the hair when he did a clinic in these parts. And KEEP THE TAIL AWAY FROM IT!!!

LazyGLowlines

I know I have to continually switch the drill direction...always pulling the hair up. So it all depends which way you're facing/using the drill.  When facing the front right leg the drill will be clock-wise on the very front of the leg, then switch it to counter-clockwise for the back part of the leg.  The direction for the side(s) of the leg all depends on how you're facing the leg.  Hopefully that makes sense....it's taken me some time to learn how to use it and  wish it came with directions myself!  And DEFINiTELY keep it away from the tail!!!

TJ

You run it in the direction that makes the hair stand up.  And, yes, you will want to reverse it depending upon which side you are on.  I think they work great. 

klintdog

I'll give you a run down of what I did tonight with it, you can let me know where I went wrong.

Got the heifers in, rinsed them down with a hose so they weren't soaked, but they were damp.
Took a fluffer comb and ran it through the hair to get rid of some of the water.
Took the roto fluffer and started on the bottom of the back legs, so the bruch was pulling the hair up and not pushing it down.
Worked my way up the leg with the roto until I got to the quarter, this is where I started to get ripples. It seems the brush wants to go downward while I'm trying to bring it upwards.
Did the whole body, starting at the flank and working in a 45 degree angle upwards.
Ended up with a heifer with ripples from her quarter to mid rib, and then it got normal.

Thoughts?

OH Breeder

There are two differnt types of rotos. A synthetic and a rice root. The rice root is great for shows and the sythetic holds up for everyday use. Make sure you are using a light oil in the hair like final bloom or pink oil as it will help soften the hair shaft. Always rotate away from the leg. That is why a reversible drill is a must.

Bawndoh

Maybe you are cow-licking the hair.  You may have to start just pulling the hair forward for a week or so, then to a 45 degree angle, then straight up.  Try it agian, and take a photo.  That would probably help us help you better!

CAB

Just guessing here, but I think that the ripples are being caused by the hair not being totally clean and also more than that I think that being partially wet would cause some of the waves. Kirk uses the synthetic brush and goes in and takes out half of the rows of bristles.